Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

The Category ID number System

In the lesson 37 of the Tutorial shown here: http://www.functionx.com/access/Lesson37.htm

As I was putting in values:

82. Enter the following information for the first record (ignore any field whose value is not yet given):

I find that I cannot input CategoryID. I typed in Economy for the first car and got an error massage. The CategoryID is
    looking for a number not text. I am not sure what to do next. I know that the Category is some type of lookup on the
    table, but it is not clear how to connect number with the type of category.

This is shown in Lesson 35 of the tutorial shown here: http://www.functionx.com/access/Lesson35.htm. You first create
    a table for rental rates of each type car and then after that the table for each specific car. In the is where one puts a number
    for the CATEGORYID.

How do these two created table connect. I have followed the instructions, but as we already know the tutorials here have errors.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    I am sorry. I must resubmit this question as I am unable to see how to relate CategoryID (which is a number) and the actual car category which is
    economy, subcompact, etc. I just see nothing in the tutorial above that explains how.

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou Reed

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    10. Save the form as sbfCars
    In the Property Sheet, click Record Source and click its ellipsis button
    12. In the Show Table dialog box, double-click Cars and Categories
    13. Click Close
    14. In the list of fields, double-click CarID, TagNumber, Make, Model, CarYear, and Category (from the Categories table
    )

Category is not one of the fields listed for you to input to. You should not have to input this value anyway. Select the Car in combobox and the subform should automatically show the related info. The subform container Master/Child Links properties should accomplish this synchronization.

75. In the second page of the wizard, make sure it indicated that the tables are connected through the CarID field and click Next

I would not use subforms for the related customer and car info, unless you want to be able to edit this lookup info. Then the Categories control would have to be a combobox bound to field in tblCars with a lookup to tblCategories.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.