Giles64 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

How to synchronise nested subforms to same record - master/child relationships

Hi

Totally confused myself now, I have a database that records assets - not sure if my problem is in Master/child relationships (I believe more than likely as I have not done multiple layers of nested subforms before) and/or "requery/refresh" to synchronise records which I have yet to manage also.

I have attached a demo of the database, due to the size I have only left 2 subforms on the Maintenance Checklists and Workplace Hazards tabs to demonstrate. Basically the main form (Assets) contains basic asset details, then there are tabbed pages that break down main areas and then some of those tabs nest down again to more subforms which relate to that record only - basically they are sections within one form.

I have two scenarios, e.g. -

Assets Main Form e.g. 1) Maintenance Checklists - tab down to individual checklists that work as they are independent of each other.
    2) Workplace Hazard & Plant Risk Assessment tabs - each tab is a section of one form and needs to synchronise to the same record when entering and searching, also it would be great to open direct into a new record on opening Workplace Hazard tab.

Some guidance on what I am doing wrong with the relationships, synchronisation and going to new record would be much appreciated. I am a novice so please excuse if terminology is wrong and as such I will need idiot instructions to follow or any example would be handy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance - I haven't finished formatting all subforms just in case there is no hope.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A form and subform bound to the same dataset seldom works well.

Also, cannot link on two autonumber PK fields because it makes no sense. The PK in Assets is AssetID, its related FK in WHWorkplaceHazardInspection is also AssetID. These should be Master/Child links.

WHHousekeeping should not be a subform linked to WHWorkplaceHazardInspection, these tables have no relationship. Both tables are related to Assets by AssetID.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Would you offer me some guidance on how best to set these forms up please?

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I am not sure what the confusion is. Forms should be set up according the defined relationships.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for that advice, I have had some degree of success cutting out the "WHHazardInspection", my reasoning for incorporating that subform was to reduce multiple entry as they were the common fields on all subforms under that tab and I thought it would make querying easier when it comes to pulling a report based on the same record ID? I will persist and keep trying.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.