jmilos300 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Employees to Positions (one-to-one relationship)

Greetings all - I have a question that has been stumping me for weeks. I am developing a database to track employees, employee movement (resignations/hiring actions), and employee positions. The part I am having difficulty with is developing the link between a single employee to a single position (one-to-one relationship). I have two tables--tbl Employees and tbl Positions--but being able to link them and enforce the one-to-one limitations has been difficult for me to figure out.

tbl Employees:
    Empl_ID

First Name
    Last Name
    Pos_ID

tbl Positions:
    Pos_ID
    Pos No
    Pos Section

My logic behind using two tables is I don't want to retype the position information in the Employees table each time an employee switches positions. With the separate tables, I believe I can use a drop down showing available positions (positions without an employee slotted against them) to place new employees. The same process would apply when moving an employee to a new position, just select the new position from the available position drop down.

I hope this is enough information, but if not, please let me know and I will provide whatever it takes to crack this nut!

Thanks,
    Jeff

NoellaG is offline VIP
    Windows 7 Access 2010 (version 14.0)
    Hi,

if you take a one-to-many relationship from tblPositions.Pos_ID -> tblEmployees.Pos_ID you can have 1 or more employees filling a position. If you want to confine this to 1 employee/position you can build in that constraint using VBA or putting an unique index on the field tblEmployees.Pos_ID

kind regards
    NG

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.