Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    sanderson is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Bound vs unbound checkboxes on a form

Hello:

I have a form that is driven by a query that looks at two tables. The data populates correctly.

I have a textbox on the form that I can either bind to the fieldname in the query, or leave unbound.

When I bind it, I cannot change the value.
    When I unbind it, changing the value represents changing all the values currently on the form. Of course, the data in the underlying table is not actually changed.

I would like to simply click the box and have the table update, and potentially add some code behind it to change other things. There must be something stopping me from accomplishing this. My gut feeling is that I would need to unbind the control and have code change the actual table, which I am fine with. However, because I cannot check the boxes individually, I cannot get to this point.

Thanks in advance.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    The field name in the query is simply a yes/no field in the table? Not an expression or something? If a field in the table, can you change the value in the query? If not, I'm thinking that field is read-only in the query:

http://allenbrowne.com/ser-61.html
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 8 Access 2013
    So if I were to leave it unbound and update information accordingly using event code, that should work? My problem is, when it is unbound and I select one item on the form, it selects all the items on the form. Basically, I am setting up an approval process for lines on a form, and might not want to approve everything.

Thanks for your reply this far!

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Unbound controls behave as you describe; same value for all records. It could be bound, but use code to update the value and requery the form if you can't get the query to be update-able.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

JamesDeckert is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    What is the Control Source for the bound checkbox field? Is it Enabled? Locked?
    When you say that you can't change the value, do you mean that when you click on the checkbox that the check doesn't appear, or that the value in the table didn't change?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    So I believe I have all this information somewhat local and it should display the control to mean what it is. The control sources are the actual field name for Approved and Approve, yet Approved prefers to display as not checkable.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	frmApproval.png 
Views:	35 
Size:	46.6 KB 
ID:	21736

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    A form can usually do data entry/edit for only 1 table. Use form/subform arrangement for data entry/edit to multiple tables.

Apparently the form has a RecordSource with multiple tables which is causing it to not be editable.

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

CJ_London is offline VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    for the scenario you have indicated, you need an 'approved' field in your table bound to the approved control on your form

Alternatively you need to create an ado recordsource for your form which includes the recordset plus the 'approved field', then some vba code to run when the option is 'ticked'

here is a link on how to create an ado recordset for this purpose

http://www.databasejournal.com/featu...Recordsets.htm

personally I would think you want the approved field in your table so you have a record that it has been approved, but up to you

Windows 8 Access 2013
    The field is bound, and there is only one table. This is the Recordsource query...

Code:
    SELECT tblocalApprovalLog.empid, tblocalApprovalLog.weekDate, tblocalApprovalLog.approved, tblocalApprovalLog.approve
    FROM tblocalApprovalLog
    WHERE (((tblocalApprovalLog.weekDate)=[Forms]![frmTimeCard].[txtPeriodStart].[Value] & " - " & [Forms]![frmTimeCard].[txtPeriodEnd].[Value]) AND ((tblocalApprovalLog.dayDate)=[Forms]![frmTimeCard].[txtDate].[Value]));

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I have met all of the criteria here: https://support.office.com/en-za/art...rs=en-ZA&ad=ZA

and I still cannot edit the field on my form...

What happens if you remove the where part of your recordsource query?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I get more data than I need, and the control is still not editable.

If you open the table tblocalApprovalLog, is the Approved checkbox editable?
    Does the Approve checkbox work ok in the form?

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Both are set for enabled yes, locked no. Yes, the Approve checkbox works fine.

I have attached the db for you, if interested. Just look at tblocalApprovalLog and frmApproval. Some tables will not work because they are linked, but these are local to the application.

Thanks
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Testing and debugging difficult without being able to open frmTimecard. I had to remove all references to frmTimeCard and disable the form Load event code.

Editing checkboxes not an issue.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.