datahead is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Can I have a rant on a Friday afternoon please?!?!?!?

<rant>

How do some of these people in IT get their A+? Are they bribing someone or providing them with some sort of carnel services in a back room somewhere?

If I started an IT service company and then walked into a business and told them that "Well, we don't want to support Microsoft SQL server on your new server (running Windows Server 2012 R2) because we don't know how to install it" I would be out of business in a week. Yet that is exactly what the IT service company that handles the place where I work is saying.

They want me to scrap eight months worth of work so they can sell us a "cloud" based product and presumably charge us a monthly fee to provide it. We are not a fortune 500 corporation with 200,000 employees!!! We are a non profit organization that helps disabled people with around 30 in house staff!!!!! This guy is a rat!!!!!

Part of the reason I went to work for this place was to assist them in getting their inventory and equipment donation system organized. The center already uses a "cloud" database for most of their data. The reason they don't use it to track inventory is because it would cost several thousand dollars for that company to add the modules that handle those functions.

The worst part of this is that the people who will ultimately make the decision to follow this moron into the ether have no idea how a server works. For us to not utilize our in house server, for an application that five people use only when they are in the building, but to puff it out into the magical unicorn "CLOUD" is FREAKING ASININE!!!!!!!!!!

The $10,000 "server" they just dropped in our rack is nothing more than a NAS that nobody can find anything on!!!

"Oh I put it on the F: drive last week". "Well.......where on the F: drive"? "<deer in the headlights>........Let me just email you a copy". </rant>

• I left work three hours early today.
    • I will probably have an adult beverage this evening.
    • I am off Mon-Tue (Vacation).
    • I will be updating my resume in the next 96 hours.
    • If anyone says the word "cloud" to me in the next few hours the gravy is finally going to slip off my biscuits and they are going to get a swift kick to the gentleman region.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    EXACTLY!!!!

Have an adult beverage for me also.

SQL Server is NOT the answer to everything!!! Why don't they understand it is just an expensive, secure file cabinet???

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    We've all had our frustrations with IT but Steve, I think OP wants SQLServer instead of cloud so apparently OP feels SQLServer is the answer.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    @June

I understand the OP wants SQL Server.... I should have quoted the line
    The worst part of this is that the people who will ultimately make the decision to follow this moron into the ether have no idea how a server works.
    I'm faced with "We're going to Web Services and Web pages and SQL Server". Going to have to try and re-create *everything* in the FE in a browser, because "We have to get into SQL Server"! They don't have any idea of WHY, just that it is the latest buzz word of the day they heard.

It's Monday...

datahead is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Yeah, I deployed SQL on our old server so that people wouldn't inadvertently delete our DB backend off the share drive (a very real possibility in this office). We meet with the IT people on Friday. I assume they are going to push me to move our SQL database to an Azure server.

I am going to have to explain to these people that they can install SQL on our new server in mixed mode. I will be able to admin the SQL DB without having an admin level login to the server using SQL authentication. All the users will still be connecting using windows authentication.

I discovered this morning that they have already made changes that have broken the ODBC connection for one of my coworkers. She can no longer enter data in our system.

I worry about my ability to keep my cool in this meeting on Friday. I am going to leave anything I might be able to throw at these guys in my office.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.