Creating a Master Database to store data from other databases and produce reports

Hi all,

I am very new to Access, and was hoping you could help me with this.

I want to create a few smaller standalone access databases that exports data to a master database (saved in a different location), which again can generate reports based on the data from all the smaller databases. I have tried the normal import/export function, but my issue is that this creates a new table in the master database. I would like all the data from the smaller standalone databases to be collated in the same table in the Access database.

I would also like the main database to be updated automatically whenever one of the smaller databases is updated.

Any help on this would be really appreciated.

Thanks!

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    What is the rationale for a number of smaller databases?

Database is often analogous to "putting your eggs in one basket" and the DBMS is the protector of the basket. Having subsets of data in disparate databases is not necessarily a sound data management strategy.

Database is a means to store related data in a meaningful, efficient way that supports your business.
    You could have a number of reports (with parameters) that could be selected and run as needed.

Tell us more about your business, your data, your reports and your experience with database and you will get more focused responses/help.

See the tutorials a Martin Green's site for info.

Good luck.

Thanks for your reply!

The purpose of this is to track the tasks that is being carried out in different locations, and also schedule QAs. The idea is that multiple locations can have their own access file, and upload this data to a master database, from which we can create reports on total amount of QA carried out etc. Previously, we have used Excel to track tasks, which are then copied over to a master excel file manually. However, the issue with this is that the Excel file becomes very big and pulling data from it becomes painful.

I wanted to create individual databases for different locations so that each location does not have to access the aggregate data for all locations. I am of course open to suggestions if you think there are more efficient ways to handle this?

Thanks again

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.