saajanpatel1 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Question Access for Work

I think access is more professional to use especially if used in long term.

I work in a construction company, mainly in the office where each individual works multiple projects. Recently in the company, we brought time tracking sheet. This is not because the company is insecure, this is to show how much time is actually spent on what jobs and that time can come in handy when it comes to claims with our clients.

As of right now, we are using excel sheet:

DATE FRIDAY
    Job # TASK#1 HOURS TASK #2 HOURS TASK #3 HOURS TASK #4 HOURS TOTAL
    132 INVOICES 2 2
    234 SCHEDULE 5 5
    PROPOSAL ESTIMATE 2 2
    TOTAL 9

This is a sample of what ours looks like. We have 5 of these on one sheet per excel sheet and save them on to the drive. Each individual has their own sheet so you can imagine how many excel files there are.

What i want to do is make this in access where the tabs are for individual employees and they go in and see something similar to this. I also want Job#s as a pull down list along with formula insert for total hours like excel.

The reason i want this is so everything is in one place. Also there needs to be a way to view a certain job tasks if i need a claim. For example, if i need to check between 07/1/2015 and 07/23/2015 of how many hours the office used for Job 234, i would be able to click on Job 234 and all hours and tasks would show up with its respective total.

I have the full idea of what i want to do, i just do not know how to do it. I want to set it up so it can be access by multiple people at the same time so no one needs to "Save-As" or they only get "Read-Only". What each employee does in the office is not confidential so that is why i would like this to have a universal data base.

I know how to use excel at its basics with formulas but not big on how to use macros. Would appreciate help from anyone.

Thanks,
    Saaj

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Learn relational database principles, Access functionality, programming concepts, macro coding and/or VBA language and syntax.

Identify data entities and design data structure.

Perhaps this tutorial will help http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    In Access the table would be:

[Job #],[TASK],[HRS],[DATE]
    123, 1, 3, 1/2/15
    123, 1, 4, 1/1/15

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.