bazianm is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Access 2010 on Windows 7 64

Hi All!

I have something really weird going on. I have an Access application that was written originally in Access 2003. I am trying to upgrade it to Access 2010.

All I did initially was update the file format to accdb. Most of the data is stored in SQL Server 2012 but we do have some local tables for processing purposes.

Before I go into the ins and outs here, let me first state that I was running Windows 7 Professional 64Bit, with Access 2010 64 bit.

When I ran the application, which ran fine under Access 2003, I had some code that just died. I posted a message here on it but I was basically getting a connection error on a RecordSet using the currentproject.connection.

On a hunch, I built a VM using 32bit Windows 7 Pro and 32 Bit office. Everything ran fine.

Finally, I create yet another VM with 64bit Windows 7 Pro and 32 Bit office and I get a memory error (There is not enough memory to perform this operation). Trust me when I say there is absolutely nothing else running application wise and the VM has 4GB total RAM for it.

It's the same codebase all around.

Needless to say I am kind of stumped here. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

June7 is online now VIP
    I run Access 2010 32 bit on Windows 7 64-bit without issue. Did have to modify some API function declaration code with PtrSafe to allow running on Windows 64-bit. If you have any API 32-bit functions, the compiler would likely error on those lines.

You are running Access 64-bit?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Why did you install Office/Access 64 bit. Many related posts in various forums saying stick with 32 bit, UNLESS you're dependent on the added value that seems limited to EXCEL 64 bit.

see http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/ind...wtopic=2029694

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    I have not had a need to use 64bit Office. However, I do develop using different versions of Access, e.g. 2003, 2010, 2013. I have noticed that curious things can happen when developing in one version and distributing an FE to a client running a different version.

The first thing that comes to mind is to use PtrSafe and not mess around with anything else. Just use your 64bit Office.

The way I understand it, Access 64bit has the capability to use accdb files larger than 2GB. I realize you are using SQL server as a BE and your file size is not likely to be large. But, the point is that using 64bit Office on your FE file and then using a 32bit version on the same file may have caused undesirable results. I do not know for sure but I will guess there is a JIT compilation and it seems to be associated with the accdb rather than a separate cache.

If you copy your FE file onto your VM with 32bit Office, create a new blank Access DB, open the new blank DB and import the objects, compile the code, and then do a compact and repair ... you may get better results and avoid the need for PtrSafe while using 32bit Office.

So, Import objects into new DB or use PtrSafe. That's my POV.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.