Sam_NY is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Pop-up form triggered by combo box in subform

Hello,

This is really my first attempt to do anything beyond what's easily dragged/dropped from the ribbon, so hoping to get some basic advice geared toward the novice that I am.

I currently have:
    - A main form called "Main"
    - A subform in a main form called "Bills_Rights subform", which is based on a junction table called "Bills_Rights". There's a one-to-many relationship between the main form table (called "Bills") and the Bills_Rights table.

The subform table has a combo box field where one can choose from about 60 different text options (which itself looks up the options from a third table). It also has a whole bunch of yes/no fields that I can't fit nicely on the subform in datasheet view.

I'd love to have just the combo box field showing in the subform and when you click it, another form pops up with the related ID field from the main form/table appropriately filled in. I've created another form based on the same table as the subform (Bills_Rights), which would be what gets displayed on the on-click event.

I found this post: https://www.accessforums.net/forms/o...orm-18891.html

...but could use an even simpler explanation (that post doesn't look resolved anyway). I figure this is handled in the Event tab in properties when I click on the combo box field in design view, but I'm not sure whether I should be doing "code builder" or "macro builder" ... also not sure how to make the values pass to the popup.

Any advice for this newbie? I appreciate any help!

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why can't yes/no fields 'fit nicely' on subform in datasheet view? Why are there a 'whole bunch' of them? What are they for?

A form in continuous view can be made to look like datasheet.

What you propose can get complicated. A properly structured main/sub form arrangement is much easier.

One way to pass data to opening form is with its OpenArgs property.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sam_NY is offline Novice
    Hi June7,

There are numerous yes/no fields because I have numerous data points that require Boolean responses, which I will need to use in data analysis later on.

The horizontal scrolling from within the subform is what I'm trying to avoid, really, but if you think a datasheet view in the subform is better, I guess I'm open to it. I'm not sure what you mean by the point about the "continuous view," but I assume you mean just designing a regular form so that the fields are in a row, a la datasheet view.

It also occurred to me that with a popup form, I can provide some helpful form instructions relevant to the yes/no fields (for which there's no room on the main form). In a webform, I would make a popup div with field instructions that pops up when you click or mouseover the field label or a little question mark, but since I have no idea how to do something similar in Access, my options were to either provide written guidelines (like on a piece of paper) to my data entry folks or insert some instructions in a webform if I was going to do that anyway.

Thanks for the response! I'll look into OpenArgs and gladly accept any further advice.

June7 is offline VIP
    Controls do have a ControlTip Text property but I don't like it, it can be slow.

Numerous Yes/No fields can indicate a non-normalized data structure which can then cause issues for filtering.

What do you not understand about continuous view form? Continuous form displays multiple records at a time. Arrange controls so they appear as a single row and will look much like datasheet.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Sam_NY is offline Novice
    June7, I just watched a video about continuous forms. I suppose what I didn't understand is how a continuous form would address any of the issues driving my initial question. I understood from what you said that I could arrange controls to look like a datasheet and display multiple records at once. What I gather now from the video is that I can list a few key fields in the detail of the report and, when it's in continuous view, list a bunch more fields in the footer of the report so that when I click on a record in the detail, the other fields corresponding to that record (i.e. my yes/no fields) will show in the footer. I see the value in this and will give it a go.

I will also take your point about non-normalized data under advisement. I don't think filtering is the issue for me, though. I suppose you'd have me move those yes/no fields out to another related table. I'll think it over.

Thanks again. Someday I'll experiment with the popup form just so I know how to do it.

June7 is offline VIP
    You say report, do you mean form?

In my experience, what you describe will not work.

You might look at split form. One thing I don't like about it is can't seem to control the width of the form. It automatically sizes to full width of the Access window.

Sam_NY is offline Novice
    Sorry, yes I meant "form"

Will do re. split form, but from what I saw, a continuous form seems serviceable.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.