dwetexas is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Dates including date, day of the week, week number and week ending

I would appreciate help on this one from anyone. Here is what I am trying to do. I have been made responsible for creating a database for a small business beginning in 2011. Among the things they would like to have this thing to magically do for them is to be able to have a date entered into the date field of a query which will eventually be part of a form and have Access populate the day name, week number, and weekending for said date.

Please. Can anyone give me an idea of how to set up the tables and queries for this task in terms I will be able to understand? I'll need to be spoon fed. I am not familiar with VB or Macros.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Is it possible that your company would authorize hiring a consultant? Perhaps there is someone local to you that can help out. It seems what you need is a data base and an application built from scratch. This takes a little bit of doing. You would have to study about relational databases to get your tables and queries sorted. Then, you would have to understand the basics about building applications to get your Forms/User Interface built.

Hey, thanks for the advice. I appreciate it. It is like trudging through waist deep mud but I am gaining ground. This morning I created a query that returns the week number when the weekending date is entered. So I am moving in the right direction, but It feels like I am reinventing the wheel. This can't be that uncommon. There must be some website or book that holds the answer to this dilemma. Don't you agree?

I have not found a single book that covers it all. There are tutorials for learning DB's. There are tutorials for VBA. There are tutorials for Architecting applications. You would have to spend quite a bit of time learning the basics about relational database. Then you might be able to fumble around creating a DB for something small. You could start with something related to your business. However, these simple projects always wind up being more complex than first anticipated, even for people with experience.

Here are some links
    http://rogersaccessblog.blogspot.ca/...on-part-i.html

https://www.accessforums.net/access/...tml#post221691

https://www.accessforums.net/tutoria...ase-45451.html

When you start working with the application side you might be able to take advantage of some screencasts I created.
    https://www.accessforums.net/tutoria...ers-52741.html

Here are some others.
    http://www.datapigtechnologies.com/AccessMain.htm

June7 is offline VIP
    I will describe my experience to maybe give you some frame of reference. I had 2 classes in computer science, one was programming Fortran, behind me when my boss decided to assign me task of completing the development of new database. Someone else already had almost 2 years into development when I got it. Took me another almost 2 years to get it into beta testing. We ran it simultaneously with the old system (DOS dBaseIV) for 1 year and then abandoned the old and went fully on-line with the new.

I was lucky my boss had the foresight to contract with a consultant to tutor me in Access and VBA to accelerate my learning process. After about 3 months I quit calling the consultant.

I have since built numerous small dbs that took from a few days to a couple weeks to build.

How long it takes to build your db depends on the scope of the requirements and your experience. So far, we know that you are very inexperienced. You have not given any info on what data this db is supposed manage.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks for the links. Give me a little time and I'll let you know just how much the links have helped. I'm sure they will. Thanks again

Sure thing. You do not have to have every last detail of your database and every last detail of your application planned out before you start. But you do have to have some knowledge and experience before successfully building an application and a database. Avoiding training and practicing in order to create something quickly is like ordering a bunch of salty appetizers in an effort to not drink too much beer.

Mr. helpful, It is a good thing I spent many months learning as much as I could before I began this task, huh? Mr Moderator thanks for your input. I did indeed fail to include info on what data this db is supposed manage. Those individuals who placed me in charge of this task do intend to use this DB to manage and/or analyze trends including ordering/spending, sales of particular items as it relates to days of the week, weeks of the month etc. They are kinda anal. Mr. helpful, I would be remiss if I did not tell you the whole database is complete except for this one aspect. with all due respect, I had hoped I could get some quality advice or guidance from this Forum not just for me but likewise for the young people I work with. I was not born or raised in this so called age of technology. That is not an apology. I appreciate those who understand all the good that comes to those who help others unselfishly and without judging. I am going to leave it up to you (Mr. Helpful) to decide whether YOU have helped me or not. Thanks again to everyone for everything.

June7 is offline VIP
    From content of original post I would assume that you knew next to nothing about database design and had not even started building. There are many functions for manipulating date values to facilitate extraction and/or calculation of day name, week number, and weekending. Access Help can provide details on DateAdd, DateDiff, Format, etc.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Quote Originally Posted by dwetexas View Post
    ...Can anyone give me an idea of how to set up the tables and queries for this task in terms I will be able to understand?..
    Other than you do not understand Visual Basic, I do not know your background or level of expertise. I do not know what your position is within the company this application is intended for. All I can do is guess where you might need help. If I have successfully isolated your question, your answer is in post #4.

Sometimes I am helpful and sometimes I am not. Whether or not I am helpful is not always dependent on me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.