slavrenz is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Lending Library: Linking Checked-Out Items Together?

I am pretty new to Access, but I am trying to set up an inventory management system for my lab using the "Lending Library" template. The thing I cannot seem to figure out is how to link multiple checked-out items together for quick reference.

For example, I have three different categories of equipment that can be checked out:
    (1) Data Collection Unit
    (2) Power Supply
    (3) SIM Card

Each item is labeled individually, and stored in my asset list. When someone in the lab checks out equipment, they normally have to take all three of these items. I would like to quickly see which data collection unit is currently paired/checked out with which power supply, SIM card, etc.

It seems to me that the ideal way to accomplish this would be to have three separate boxes on the check-out form, one for each equipment type. Does anyone know how I could accomplish something like this? At the very least, I would like to be able to link these items together on the back end, even if I can't do it with a form.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Often times I will use an additional table that will define the Classification of another entity. You can store the primary key value from your Classification table in a Foreign Key field of the asset table.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Here is a generic model of a lending library that may help you. It shows the things that are typically involved in a lending library. There may be more detail or less detail than you situation has/requires.
    , but it should give you a starting point. You can adjust to meet your needs.

Here's a model for IT Asset management.

You can also google "inventory management database" to get additional info.

Good luck.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Isn't the common link the WHO the items are checked out to?

Build a query that sorts by individual then do a Find for the specific Data Collection Unit you want to know about.

Do a report that orders by individual and lists the items below each.

Can any SIM Card be checked out with any Data Control Unit or any Power Supply?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    slavrenz,

As you can see from the responses so far, readers are not familiar with your set up nor your requirements in context.
    Get your business required defined/described. Then build a data model to show the "things" involved and how they relate to each other. Create some typical test data and see if you can get the output/answers to your business needs from the test data in your model.
    Good luck.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by orange View Post
    slavrenz,As you can see from the responses so far, readers are not familiar with your set up nor your requirements in context.Get your business required defined/described. Then build a data model to show the "things" involved and how they relate to each other. Create some typical test data and see if you can get the output/answers to your business needs from the test data in your model.Good luck.
    I don't know exactly what you mean by all of this. I am trying to define/describe my "business" - if it is not clear, then ask questions. I thought I was pretty clear about the context. I work in a lab (I am a grad student). Our lab has three types of equipment that people can check out.

I somehow want to have a quick way to see the current status of all assets in my database (if checked out, if in the lab, if out for repair, etc.). I don't yet know how to get this into a data model (really, I've just been filling out the lending library template as best I can to this point).

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by June7 View Post
    Isn't the common link the WHO the items are checked out to?

Build a query that sorts by individual then do a Find for the specific Data Collection Unit you want to know about.

Do a report that orders by individual and lists the items below each.

Can any SIM Card be checked out with any Data Control Unit or any Power Supply?
    Hi June, yes, all SIM cards, data collection units, and power supplies are interchangeable. And you're right about the WHO being the common link. Your idea on that query is good, I will try it out and see if it suits my needs.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.