Troubled is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2003

Angry problem converting from access 2003 to access 2007

I am a raw novice with the unfriendly Microsoft access. However I have created a working database in access 2003 that I am pleased with. I no longer have my computer with access 2003. It has access 2007. I thought it would be better. It isn't because most of the commands that work perfectly with access 2003 no longer work with access 2007. 1 simple example is DoCmd.Open form "formname" This works perfectly well in 2003. I know that there are various clauses that can be added but none of these helps. Please tell me what I need to do to get this working.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Where did you place
    DoCmd.Open form "formname"
    ????

Sometimes saved Macro Objects do not work in other versions of Access. You can use the Docmd.OpenForm method as VBA code behind a form.
    https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib.../ff820845.aspx

Dear ItsMe, I do appreciate your help. My access 2003 database has the line in a menu I have created. The purpose was to select an item from my menu. The line is in On click and is an event procedure. In 2003 it simply opened the form. The actual syntax was DoCmd.OpenForm "Form name"

Sounds like VBA behind the form to me. Should work in Access 2007, 2010 etc.

You should be able to open your 2003 version database with Access 2007 and it should work just fine. If there was a problem, I would not expect it to be with trying to execute that code.

One thing that you can try (be sure to make copies of your DB and store copies in a safe place), is to rebuild the control that has the click event. If it is a button, delete the button, do a compact and repair, and then place a new button on the form. Then, add you code. I would expect it to work.

Dear ItsMe, I do appreciate your help. My access 2003 database has the line in a menu I have created. The purpose was to select an item from my menu. The line is in On click and is an event procedure. In 2003 it simply opened the form. The actual syntax was DoCmd.OpenForm "Form name"

I do not know what else to say other than delete the Button and place a new button on your form while in design view of your form. The thing on your form that has the Click Event is called a "Control". These controls can sometimes stop working. The solution is to replace them. Sometimes an entire form can stop working. hopefully, you can solve your problem by replacing the "Control" with a new "Control". Then, place your Docmd code in the click event for your new "Control".

Thank you very much. I have tried that but it doesn't work. Naturally I thought that there was some problem with the conversion. So, I deleted the command button and re typed it completely. It does not work. GRR. I am so fed up. I would gladly pay for someone to help me with this. It would save so much stress. In essence it should be so simple. The form works fine but I just cannot make it shut down and open the menu. There must be other people in my position with the cash to get the help. I am in Shropshire. Do you know of any access knowledge in that area?

Unfortunately, I cannot accept your money. However, if you can upload part of your DB here, I will try to fix it or provide an example for you to follow so you can fix it yourself. Just be sure to remove any private data, compact and repair, and zip it down before you upload it here. Please upload it to this forum and remember there is a limit to the size of files that are uploaded here.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.