cbende2 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Different front ends

Hello all,

I'm in the process of migrating my split database to SQL Server express.

I'm looking into going with a front end that is web based.

Question: What are some different web based front ends that hook up to SQL Server and are easy to roll out production with? I have very little coding experience and was wondering if I could still pull this off.

Thank you!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If you want something to open in a Web Browser, I would bite the bullet and use the .net framework. You can develop web apps in A2010 and A2013. However, I have not seen any functionality beyond connecting to Share Point. So, I have been focusing my energy on .net.

I looked into some of the stuff with A2013. The wizard seems to split everything into an actual SQL backend. It looks promising but then the front end is channeled through SharePoint. Deploying SharePoint is a large task. If you have many power users, I can see SharePoint being viable. Otherwise, it may be just as easy to create your own cloud services through Microsoft Azure.

If someone can chime in with a way to get Access to work via a web browser and not be limited to using a SharePoint list, I would love to hear about it.

Thanks for the info ItsMe, can you go into a little detail of what exactly is Azure?

It is impossible to provide a "little detail" of what Azure is. I may be able to sum up what it is in a few words, though. It is Microsoft's solution to provide an interface to its cloud platform.

I have been looking into what it is and I cannot discern what it is, exactly. As soon as I think I have an idea of what it is and what it does, it either changes (grows) or I simply discover another horizon. I do not think there is anything like it in the world. Some compare it to Amazon's AWS. In a lot of ways it is similar. Then, in most ways, it is nothing like AWS.

I think the best way to approach it is to imagine something you need. Take that "something" and distill it. Then, turn to Azure to see how they can help with your something. If you are trying to create an application that opens in a web browser, you may need to learn a new programming language. There are many approaches to connecting to SQL. For me, the solution is with C# and the .net framework. VB is still alive but it seems to be limited to Desktop apps. If you are good with HTML5, there are new tools available to create apps and use tools that may be familiar to you.

The best advice I can offer is to stay way from the Universal App buzz. Don't concentrate on cross platform and focus on Web Apps. There is a full days worth of tutorials/info in this series. You need a free Microsoft Virtual Academy subscription.
    http://www.microsoftvirtualacademy.c...pps-jump-start

Ok thanks, I'll check it out.

I appreciate the response!

It is important to add... there are good and dependable ways to connect an Access Desktop app to a backend in the cloud (I can't believe I just said, "cloud"). The deal breaker is when you want to open an Access front end in a web browser.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.