caseyk is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Preventative Maintenance DB Design

Hi everyone,

I am quite new here and to Access; however, I do know having a good design plan is critical. This is what I need help with obviously. So I am trying to leave my database open to adding more functions if I need to later on.

So right now I am working on a DB to keep records of Biomedical preventative maintenance. It is critical that I can go back and see past inspections of a customers facility as well as when adding a new inspection I can just update readings from the last inspection to create a newer inspection aswell as add new equipment if needed..I'm not quite sure how to do this lol

So far I have these tables: Customers>PMs>Dates>Equipment

Is this the most efficient way to do this?

Blah, sorry I don't have anything in Access yet I'm doing it on paper and trying to get how everything will flow before I start tinkering in Access

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Not sure about the line, 'Customers>PMs>Dates>Equipment'
    if you mean it as parent>child, then i disagree some.
    separate non related tables
    tCustomers
    tEquipment

not sure about the others.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    To add to Ranman's comment, after you have your entities defined build a table around them. Add fields to your table and indicate what data type these fields will be. Give these fields names and use a naming convention that does not include spaces or special characters. It is OK to use an underscore within your names. But, other special characters are frowned upon.

When defining your fields you will want to understand which fields are Primary Keys and which are Foreign Keys. When a field describes an entity, make sure you are following Rules of Normalization.

There is nothing wrong with writing down what you need. In fact, writing down on paper an Entity Relationship Diagram and the Business Rules is where you should start.

caseyk is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    I'm more less trying to figure out how I should design this. I need to be able to keep track of each companies yearly Preventative Maintenance inspections that my company does. I also need to keep record of each year I do not want to overwrite this data, I want to be able to say look at Dr Cool's PM inspection from 2012 or 2013 or 2014 etc. I also want to make it easy to edit for a new PM inspection so if I create a new PM it copies all of the equipment that was previously PM'd however the equipment's ESI readings and such resets making for easy editing. All I need help with is the structure I'm not really sure how to go about doing this Will I use a new table for each customers equipment? Would I use a new table for each year of the customers PMs...I have my Customer Table and Forms built but how I proceed With the recording of equipment and PMS and such

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Further to the other comments, I'm suggesting you work through this tutorial from RogersAccesslibrary.
    By working through this in 30-45 minutes you will experience identifying entities, attributes and relationships.
    You can use what you learn to design the "blueprint" for your own database. You will learn and reinforce design concepts that will help you in all future projects.
    Good luck.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I would set aside some time and review some videos on Relational Databases. Some keywords to search with are, RDBMS, Normalization, Relationships, Primary Key.

Here is a link to a series of videos
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t587...VlgZ_xRRSsyesu

Let us know if you feel overwhelmed with where to focus your time and energy. I suggest you understand how to work with an RDBMS before you concern yourself with building Forms and a Graphical User Interface. Table design is everything.

caseyk is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Thanks guys I'll be back I needed a good tutorial on relationships

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.