ssworthi is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Reformatting SS# process for an employee table

I am creating a simple timekeeping data base for a farm based company. The customer would like to see employee time by entering the last 6 digits of the SS# in a query with all the fields they'd like to see. Currently I am doing a find/replace in an Excel file with employees data and then importing the file through a macro. Instead of reformatting in Excel, is there a way to replace the ###-##-#### format in Access?

Also, for the life of me I can't remember (it's been a while) how to turn off the security warning messages for this macro. It would be the first action of the macro. The macro is for updating the employee table. It clears the old data, brings in the new through delete and append queries. Thanks so much; this is my first post so please bear with me.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Not sure what you're looking for on the format. This should help with the warnings. SetWarnings is also available in macros.

http://www.baldyweb.com/SQLWarnings.htm
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 8 Access 2013

Formatting in Access

Quote Originally Posted by ssworthi View Post
    I am creating a simple timekeeping data base for a farm based company. The customer would like to see employee time by entering the last 6 digits of the SS# in a query with all the fields they'd like to see. Currently I am doing a find/replace in an Excel file with employees data and then importing the file through a macro. Instead of reformatting in Excel, is there a way to replace the ###-##-#### format in Access?
    Also, for the life of me I can't remember (it's been a while) how to turn off the security warning messages for this macro. It would be the first action of the macro. The macro is for updating the employee table. It clears the old data, brings in the new through delete and append queries. Thanks so much; this is my first post so please bear with me.
    I am sorry for not making myself clearer. Thanks so much for the set warnings, works like a champ.
    I am attempting to create a process for the user. They are working out of Quickbooks and maintain their employee records there. For the most current employee list they export from Quick Books the current employee list; this includes name and the social security number formatted as "###-##-####, standard. I am creating a macro that will import that excel file from a shared dropbox into Access. There is a table with time worked by employee, linked with the employee table.
    The user would like a query that prompts for the employee which reflects time worked. She would like to see a specific employee by the last 6 digits of the SS#. I am thinking the best way is to eliminate the dashes making it a whole 9 digit series. I can do that in the excel file but that would mean manipulating the file each time; what I would like to do is run an update query of some sort in the macro that eliminates the dashes when bringing in the file and appends to the current employee file. I hope this makes sense.

Windows XP Access 2007
    You can use the Replace() function to get rid of the dashes, either during import or after.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 8 Access 2013

Replace ()Function

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    You can use the Replace() function to get rid of the dashes, either during import or after.
    Thanks so much for the help. Is the Replace()Function something I would do in an update query; have not used this before. Thanks again.

Windows XP Access 2007
    It can be used in an update query, yes. If you import with a query, it could also be used there.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 8 Access 2013

Replace Function

Quote Originally Posted by pbaldy View Post
    It can be used in an update query, yes. If you import with a query, it could also be used there.
    Could you please show an example of a replace query. Do I have this correct? Create an update query, update the SS field with "replace()"; then I am blank. Like I said, I've not used replace before. Thanks so much!

Windows XP Access 2007
    UPDATE TableName
    SET FieldName = Replace(FieldName, "-", "")
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows 8 Access 2013
    I'm feeling awkward here, I so far have been not clear on your instruction as I ended up updating the field to "SS No".
    I created an Update query, chose the SS No field to update. In the Update field I did a "build" and typed in Replace(SS No,"-",""). I know I am close so please have patience with me. Thanks so much.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    OMG, I redid it with brackets around the field name and it worked! Awesome! Thank you so much!

Micron is offline Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Notice that Paul had no spaces in FieldName. If SS No is the name of your field, put square brackets around it [Field Name]. Better yet, go through your project after Googling "ms access naming convention" and employ some of what you learn. I never use spaces or special characters ( "_" excepted) anywhere, (OK, maybe in .005% of cases) including file folder and file names. Don't settle for the first website you find, read a few.

You beat me to it by about 30 seconds!

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by ssworthi View Post
    OMG, I redid it with brackets around the field name and it worked! Awesome! Thank you so much!
    Glad you got it sorted.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.