Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit

Resizing Forms

My forms are awkwardly spaced. They are far too long. I can switch to Design view and readjust/resize them. They look

fine in Design view. However, whenever I go back to Form view there they are again awkwardly spaced - nothing has changed.

How can I reformat/resize them in design view and have them stay that way when I go to form view?

Any help appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I adjust my forms for Width only. Don't place controls outside of the scope of your monitor. Consider other User's and how much real estate their monitors have, too.

June7 is offline VIP
    What do you mean by 'awkwardly spaced'? Too long vertically? Changes in design view should be reflected in form view. Why you see something different is hard to say. If you want to provide images or the db - you know what to do.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    They are too long horizontally. I need them to be reduced in length and stay that way.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I have to ask this question again. I apologize in advance, but I need to get an answer. I resize my forms in design view to the size and shape that I like, then click them away. Later when I come back to them they are to the same awkward size that they were originally. The improved form was not saved.

I thought that I saw how to do this in one of MS Access 2010 hots on Google, but maybe I did not. Hence, my question. I want the form resizing
    and reshaping to hold not revert back to the original too long size.

I can change their sizes and shapes, but I cannot keep them that way.

I think it requires a change in the properties window of the form. How do I do that?

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

If you resize the form using the cursor and dragging the edge of the form, this will affect the form's properties. There is not a need to type a value in the Property Sheet.

I have experienced similar symptoms when switching from design view and back to form view. Try resizing while in Form view and then use the Save Icon in the top left of Access. If your application is really stubborn, create a copy and then compact and repair the original.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    Okay, but how do you resize in form view? I cannot do it. I can only change and size in design view. Moving the cursor to the edge of the design view
    object, it changes to a cross and we all know what to do then.

Also, the save in the drop down menu in design view has no effect. Resize, reshape a form to what you like in design view, save it, close it and reopen it and all of that effort
    is wasted. You are back to the old unpleasant form.

Again, how to resize in form view?

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

If you are using overlapping windows you should be able to resize your forms while in form view. If you cannot, look at the properties, there may be something there that is not allowing the resizing of the windows.

If you are not using overlapping windows and your forms are larger than your screen. Try changing the size while in design view. IIRC the only property is the width. However, you can drag the edges of the form for the width and the height. Make sure all of your controls are towards the top of your form. Even something like a line can cause your form to be larger than desired.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    I think I know what you mean. Somebody well known in Access circles posted a fix that may or may not work due to the different Access versions now but it is worth looking for. Can't remember if it was Albert K or Allen Browne, but it was somebody like that. I printed it out and posted it in my cubicle, then retired so I/we would have to look for it again. You are correct in that it had to do with the form properties such as border, control box, etc. but there was a specific order of sizing, views and saves that had to be done. Google it and see if you can find it, or if you think you can get away with it, use the form movesize method of the docmd object on opening.
    [update]
    Author has an updated explanation of the problem and solution here:
    http://www.utteraccess.com/forum/Set...-t1954592.html

June7 is offline VIP
    What is the form BorderStyle property set to?

That still doesn't explain why the design settings don't hold. Would have to review db if you want to provide.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Lou_Reed is offline VIP
    I posted a current copy of my Ceil Inn db in my latest post (Two Incorrect Things in
    my Ceil Inn database).

Please feel free to open and use to answer this question that you posted in this database.

Respectfully,

Lou_Reed

June7 is offline VIP
    I had no problem resizing the Occupancies and NewOccupancy forms and the changes hold.

In design view, drag the design area to left then drag the form's window border left.

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.