sup is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

lock web app to protect it

I have a fair amount of experience with Access desktop apps, but I'm reletively new to Sharepoint and Access Web Apps. The app that I'm currently working on is for someone that wants "everything" on Sharepoint (365 online) that can be on Sharepoint!

Because of my limited experience with macros, and what I perceive to be the limitations of macros vs VBA, I am building this as a "hybrid app". The main application is a desktop application that links to a Sharepoint Azure DB that is part of the web app. The desktop app uses a lot of VBA behind many forms. The web app consists if a small number of web app forms used to remotely enter data, and the Azure SQL server relational database.

In testing the web app forms, I have become aware that the 'Customize in Access' button is available to anyone that can see the web app. I do not want anyone to have the ability to edit data from a back door, or have the ability to destroy my work by "customizing" it. From what I have read, I can Lock the web app if I save it as a deployment .app file.

I have also read that once it is locked, the database will no longer be accessible outside the app itself. If that is true, that means that the desktop app, which is the main app, will no longer work.

1) Can someone tell me if it is possible to link to a locked app via ODBC or DSN-less connection?
    2) Is there any other way to prevent users from seeing under the hood without locking it as a deployment .app?

Thanks,

Sup

nyaworld is offline Novice
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Did you ever find out if you can lock an app that already has data and keep it or if you can continue to connect via linked tables OBDC to a locked web app?

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.