Joetoben is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Questions regarding creating a customer database for a business

Hello, I'm new to these forums and please excuse me if I am not posting in the right area, but I have a few questions about access and whether it would be effective to use it for what I need.

I work for a business that wants to create a database to track quotes and purchases from customers. We offer a variety of machinery, and I want to keep track of the multiple quotes and invoices we've made.

I can't tell if it would be better to use Access or Excel for this. I want to be able to list all of the companies who we sell to, and be able to click on a given company and see our quotes with them and our invoices with them in two different columns. Some companies have more invoices or quotes than others, and i'm not sure if I can create multiple lines or organize the companies in a way where it's easy to see the multiple quotes and invoices we have with them. I would also like to individually date the quotes/invoices, and i'd like to find a way to sum up the dollar amount of the quotes/invoices for every company.

Perhaps this program isn't the best choice, and again I am very sorry if this is a bad place to post this, I just really don't know where the best place to turn is. ANY advice or guidance is GREATLY appreciated.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Excel could probably be made to work but I vote for Access.

Suggest you work through some tutorials to gain an understanding of relational database principles and Access functionality. Start with http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    I totally agree with June's comments. Work through a few tutorials to get an understanding(experience) with some of the concepts of database and design(tables, fields, normalization, relationships, keys, index...)

Also, after reading, and working through some of the tutorials at RogersAccessLibrary, write a clear description of your "business and processes" (5-10 lines). This will be the basis of what your database will have to support.

Good luck.

cbende2 is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    I agree with June and Orange, Access would definitely be the best approach. The scenario you described is perfect for an access database! If you need help with the design, feel free to message or to post; the users on these forums are very friendly and love to help!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.