batowl is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows XP Access 2003

FieldSize Setting Error

Hi All,

I was trying to be sure that my database users entered a value in my primary key field on the data entry form that had the correct number of characters in it so I added the following validation rule to the form for this field: Is Null or Like "??????????". That did not work as hoped so I deleted this validation rule from the form, but now I keep getting the following error:

"The value you entered isn't valid for this field. For example, you may have entered text in a numeric field or a number that is larger than the FieldSize setting permits."

There is no where to change the FieldSize setting on the form. But in the back end of the database, in the table, the field in question is listed as a "Long Integer" in the Field Size section. There is no Validation Rule on this field in the table. With the validation rule deleted on in the form and the field size listed as Long Integer in the table, I do not understand why I keep getting this error. I am only trying to enter a value that is 10 digits long (2014408002, for instance), which a long interger should be able to handle. Any thoughts?

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Does the form have an input mask set for that field? If so try removing that as well. What data in the field triggers the error?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Nope, no input mask. Any data in the field triggers the error. What is funny is that the error only comes up when I scroll through old data that was imported into the database. When I enter a new record I do not get the error. Very confusing...

John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Just scrolling through records should not trigger that error. Do you have any code in the On Current event of the form?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Not on On Current, no. I have some code for On Change for various fields, but not the field that is triggering the error.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Any code in the OnEnter or OnExit events for any Controls? These will fire for the Control that has Focus, as you navigate from Record to Record.

Also curious as to what kind of Controls you're using the OnChange events for; this can be problematic for Controls where the user can enter data per the keyboard (such as Textboxes and Comboboxes) as it fires with each character that is entered.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

I have hunted this solution for years and finally figured it out. I got this error while running a report:
    "The value you entered isn't valid for this field. For example, you may have entered text in a numeric field or a number that is larger than the FieldSize setting permits."
    and the error text didn't help at all, nor did it zero down to the field that is causing the error.

The problem was that the report used dropdowns linked to the table fields instead of static controls. I changed the report dropdowns to static controls that simply pull data from the table and the error went away.

Sweet!

Micron is online now Virtually Inert Person
    Windows 10 Access 2016
    Don't know if you noticed but the last post here was over 6 years ago. Methinks you didn't figure it out - you worked around it. Possible cause:

the data type of the bound column was not visible and that is the value you were trying to save in the table, not the value which is in another column that you saw in the combo after selection.

The error messages can seem like alien speak at times, but with experience, most of them will make perfect sense, as does that one to me. I may not have hit on the exact reason, but the cause for the error provides much to go on if you know what it means.
    The more we hear silence, the more we begin to think about our value in this universe.
    Paraphrase of Professor Brian Cox.

Inert,

Yes, I saw that it has been years, but I know that Access issues propagate across versions. I spent several hours working it to find the solution, and only joined the forum and placed this response because of the message that said this thread is still being seen by others and requested that I post my solution so I wanted to pass it on to others.

Good name.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.