Need help with Access as a platform to share information via SMS

This is not your typical post, but hear me out for a second.

In a nutshell, I'm looking for someone who wants to go to Kenya (all expenses paid, but the position itself is not paid) for 2-3 weeks to help out some potato farmers in building a platform they can use to send information via SMS. I know random posts online like this sound like a scam, but you can call me in Baltimore at 410--951--7366 and we can talk if you want. Or email (maria.figueroaATcrs.org)

Here is a VERY brief position description, but I can share a full one with anyone who contacts me.

I am looking for someone to assist in developing a computerized system that would be able to send short market messages online to potato farmers and traders. After the development of the system, the person will upload it to the company's website for testing and train the identified staff on managing the system.

For example, an expert can use Microsoft Access to create the program then would need to get a linked piece of software which could transmit SMS messages and receive them within the Access program.

I am a Volunteer Recruiter under CRS' Farmer to Farmer program, which seeks to bring volunteers with applicable technical skills to East Africa to assist host organizations requesting assistance. Trips are 2-4 weeks long and are expenses paid. Per the donor guidelines, volunteers must have US citizenship or permanent residency. This particular assignment has been very difficult to recruit for, which is why I am resorting to posting on online forums out of desperation. You can see all our current scopes of work (as well as this one, KE30) at farmertofarmer.crs.org.

Thanks for reading!

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why would you have to travel to Kenya to develop an app and upload it to a website?

Because it is very difficult for someone to understand the needs of this company (a potato council), build something appropriate, and train them to use it without traveling there. I think it is really the initial needs assessment and the training that are hard to do remotely. I agree that the build could be done remotely (at least as I understand it. I will admit that my grasp of this is not the best). There is also an element of exchange. Volunteers generally find their trips enriching.

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    For example, an expert can use Microsoft Access to create the program then would need to get a linked piece of software which could transmit SMS messages and receive them within the Access program.
    Before you incur the expense of going, I suggest you ensure you can find one or more suitable providers for the sms service which will work in Kenya. Many providers only work for a single country or region (or you might have a provider in the USA sending texts to recipients in Kenya and charging international rates), or don't provide a suitable api that can be called from Access. Prices also vary considerably - the headline rate can balloon when usage patterns are taken into account. Google 'sms via web' or similar to find suitable providers. This should be your first action before designing the database, rather than the last.

I think you will have to go the sms via web route - A few years ago I investigated the availability or existence of some software, dongle or service whereby the client could send text messages from an Access application via their mobile phone. I was unsuccessful, so went the sms via web route. Having said that, Apps were in their infancy, so perhaps there is something out there now.

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I've never used clickatell in Kenya but have used their services and API's with Access apps for years.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.