JRT2006 is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Need guidance on a Scouting Database

Hello all,

I've recently began working on a project and I think I may have over complicated things a bit.

I'm building a database to use for scouting players in a video game, a bunch of friends and I used an excel version last year and I'm trying to upgrade it now.

What I have in mind is this:
    Each position has a specific set of skills that are important to them, for example, a running backs important skills would be speed, agility, acceleration, vision, and elusiveness. A quarterbacks important skills would be speed, agility, acceleration, throwing power, and throwing accuracy.

I'm attempting to create a form that when a position is selected, only that positions important skills show up. Example being, user opens the form>inputs basic information>selects position(RB) and only speed, agility, acceleration, vision, and elusiveness show up on the form.

I've made three tables thus far; a Prospects table with all the basic information for the scouted player, a Positions table with position names, and a Skills table with every single possible skill listed.

Now I'm drawing a blank on how to connect this all together to complete my vision

Any help is greatly appreiated

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Positions and skills have many-to-many relationship. Need a 'junction' table that associates positions with skills. There will be a record for each combination of position and skill.

tblPositionSkills
    ID
    PositionID
    SkillID

Can save the ID values from tblPositions and tblSkills or save the actual descriptive value. If the descriptions are short (1 or 2 words), I would save the descriptions.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Okay, I've done what you recommended, although I'm not sure how this helps or what to do afterwards?Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	6 
Size:	17.0 KB 
ID:	20468

Each Position needs to have a predetermined set of skills, and the 'Prospects' form will have a subform with these predetermined skills attached that changes depending on what position is selected.

Do I create 18 different subforms and have them linked to the position on the main?

Thanks for your quick reply

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Now create the records in PositionSkills.

Why would you have 18 subforms?

Set a relationship between Prospects and Positions. This assumes each prospect can associate with only one position. Create a combobox for selecting PositionID into Prospects records.

You need a better understanding of relational database concepts. Maybe this will help http://www.rogersaccesslibrary.com/
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows 8 Access 2013
    Ah, dammit. Okay okay, I see now. Clearly not thinking straight. I appreciate the help

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.