DittoBird is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Laid Off - What About Code, Presentations, etc?

Hi folks,

I've been recently laid off after nearly 21 years at a university as a result of a reorganization and my position became redundant. I was a maintenance manager heavily involved with an Oracle computerized maintenance management system for which I wrote a lot of supplementary applications using MS Access front ends with PTQs instead of linked tables. My redundancy was completely unexpected and I don't have any of my code for future reference, nor any of my documents or presentations to be able to provide examples of my work. The university will not allow me to retrieve anything, though I was allowed to take away any number of paper files that had to do with my management work.

Is this a normal sort of arrangement? I feel like I've been violated and thrown out of a moving bus without any clothes or anything at all.

Some of my procedures like a function to take SQL (developed by choices on other forms) and turn it into a saved or temporary PTQ or an actual Oracle view took me a long time to develop and I relied heavily on them. I did a lot of really in-depth graph manipulation which would take me years to accomplish again.

Some of my presentations involved rather clever things like using geoscience as an analogy for advocacy of integration of existing systems to be able to reduce both data redundancy (for example, different tables associated with room and outdoor spaces, space types, space ownership made) and reduce duplicate computer related work with respect to trades people, inventory disbursement, accounting. I'm not allowed to get some of these things either - the example I discuss might actually look very good on my LinkedIn summary profile.

What do other people do in cases like this?

Thank you in advance for any suggestions.

ranman256 is online now VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    Like me too,
    tho I backed up my code and kept copies just in case.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Certainly their prerogative, however rotten. Guess they figure they 'own' the code and files and don't want to share.

If you didn't back up to disc or USB and take home over the years, out of luck.

Will just have to describe highlights in job interviews.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Anything you create while working for them is THEIR property. they could even demand ownership of anything you created while working for them, wherever you made it!

DittoBird is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007
    Folks, I appreciate the quick responses. I was pretty despondent over this - as I mention above, I've done a lot of development, though have never been actually in a position called programmer/developer/what-have-you. It sounds what I've experienced is pretty much par for the course. A couple of friends of mine who are programmers have also told me similar.

Thanks.

PS Trevor, I'd be very happy to deliver them a bag of... well, um, stuff I made.

PPS - do I need to somehow mark this topic as closed?

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003
    pps = yes, under thread tools at top of page, select mark thread as closed.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I moved this thread to General Chat which does not have 'Mark Solved' option.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.