John_G is offline VIP
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Can Active Server Pages (ASP) connect to and read from a Sharepoint DB?

Our organization recently moved all our intranet web sites to a new server. We had a number of ASP's that connected to and read from a relatively small MS Access database (on the same server as the ASP's) , and generated HTML with the responses (uses vbscript). No database updates are done.

Now the problem - for reasons I cannot determine, the new server does not have the MS.Jet driver installed (and I'm told it won't be), so our database no longer works, and we are scrambling to find a solution.

My question is - can an ASP using vbscript connect to and read from a database residing on an appropriately configured Sharepoint site, when the server where the ASP resides does not have the MS Access driver?

Thanks for any help you can provide, especially if the answer is no!

John

ItsMe is offline Sometimes Helpful
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    If I recall correctly, Active Server Pages have been deprecated. Were your ASP's connected to an MDB file? I do not think it is so much the Jet DB engine (by itself) as it is the ODBC driver required for the DB connection. In other words, you might, still, be able to get it to work on a newer version IIS. However, SharePoint is not IIS. If the only platform available is SharePoint, you will have to play by its rules. I am not an expert but I would concentrate on ODBC drivers and being able to create the ODBC connection.

John_G is offline VIP
    I should have been more specific - it is the ODBC driver for MS.Jet.4.0 that they will not install.

Yes, our ASP's were connected to an MDB, with not-very-complex queries run to create vbscript recordets.

So there is not a web server available to you?

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    I have developed several ASP Classic and .NET sites. I use the connection strings contained on www.connectionstrings.com for MS Access. Most recently I used the Connection string for Office 12 to make an ASP.net Access database webservice. I had no issues, I have an example in the code repo.

John_G is offline VIP
    I do have access to a web server, but it doesn't work.

The connection string used on the old server is:

Public Const cstrConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=D:\inetpub\web_sites\cmpapp\cmpapp\dpgr\acc ess_database\dmhrr\web_dmhrr_specs.mdb;User Id=admin;Password=;"

but the problem is the specified provider isn't on the new one, so the attempted connection fails.

Quote Originally Posted by John_G View Post
    I do have access to a web server, but it doesn't work.

... problem is the specified provider isn't on the new one, so the attempted connection fails.
    As we know already, no driver - no work. All I can think of is to try and talk their language and stay focused on the driver. If they respond, "SharePoint", try to talk to someone that responds, "IIS". I am going to guess that SharePoint will not want to play with the driver needed.

My limited exposure to this leads me to believe the best way to cooperate with SharePoint is via MS Access2013. The best solution may be to migrate your stuff onto A2013. I believe it will script out the MS SQL Server (or engine, whatever they call it) tables and queries for you. I have not played around with it much. But there are Wizards within A2013 that seem to be the new trend. Where A2010 options/macros are already deprecated (talking about MS Access and integration with SharePoint).

Can you use a DSN based connection string instead?

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptus View Post
    Can you use a DSN based connection string instead?
    That would be the standard, Wizard, way of doing things in the old MDB files. This would create a shortcut to the connection within your MDB file.

You may be confusing ASP.Net with Active Server Pages.

No confusion, i have used DSN in asp.net and regular asp. If this wont work, I will keep pondering.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.