Question Fillable form mask

Hello,
    I am trying to create a form like this one:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Capture.PNG 
Views:	16 
Size:	8.7 KB 
ID:	20284

Is there a way to edit my text boxes to look like this? I tried the mask option but the result isn't satisfying..

Thank!

CJ_London is online now VIP
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit
    short answer is no.

long answer is you could probably do it by having 100's of controls - the top row is 30 characters long so you would need 30 unbound controls with a colour border and white background, all next to each other. Then you would need another unbound control with a white background and no border overlaid along the top to 'cut off' the little uprights. Alternatively you could create an image of the 'background' - just screenshot what you have in your post minus the entry made.

then, because the spacing is different from normal spacing, you would need 30 controls to overlay the above, this time with transparent border and backcolour

finally you would need some vba code to combine the individual values together into one field. You would probably also need some code in each controls on change event to move to the next control after a character has been entered

is it worth it?

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajax View Post

is it worth it?
    I wouldn't think so...but more importantly, why would you want to? This type of formatting is used on hard copy forms that are to be filled in by hand, in order to force the users to write more carefully by separating each character and spacing between words. Why would this be needed in an Access Form where the data is going to be entered through a keyboard? I can't imagine anyone entering a company name, for instance, and not placing a space between each component of the name, if that is appropriate.

As Ajax wrote, it would take a huge number of unbound Controls, one for each possible character, a bunch of formatting, and then concatenating all the unbound Controls together!

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I agree, this makes no sense on a digital form. Users will just have to accept that database forms do not always look EXACTLY like paper versions.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

trevor40 is offline Advanced db Manager
    Windows XP Access 2003
    you would have more luck using an excel's sheet cells for the boxes, hiding all grid lines and creating your own borders. but you will still need vba code behind it to put it all together.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.