jeng is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Relating 2 Tables - Relational Problem

Hi,

Im having a problem with designing a database realationship between 2 tables.

I have 2 tables; 'Composition' and 'Tx Test results'.

'Tx Test results' has "Transformer ID" as a primary key, and 'Composition' has a composite key of "Transformer ID" and "Date Tested".

In Access, how do i relate the composite key (I.e. the combination of Both Transformer ID and Date Tested) to the Transformer ID in the 'Tx Test Results table'

Thanks.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Why are you using a composit key for the Composition table? Are there many entries in that table with the TransformerID in a field?

jeng is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Yeh thats right RuralGuy,

It contains entries of the same transformers in there, tested on different dates.

So, Transformer 1 can be tested on 4 different days in the space of a year. While Transformer 2 may have only been tested once.

Therefore, it is the combination of Transformer ID AND Date which uniquley identifies a record.

....Any ideas on how to relate the two tables?

Thanks very much!

Windows 7 Access 2007
    The two tables sound like they have a 1:M relationship with each other and you would use the TransformerID field to define the relationship. You would display this relationship with a MainForm/SubForm arrangement with the MANY side on the SubForm in Continuous Form view. No date involved in defining the relationship.

jeng is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Thanks for the reply RuralGuy,

Are you saying, in order for me to establish the relationship between the two tables, that i would have to:

Click on the relationships menu from the toolbar in Access > Drag the PK (Transformers) from the Composition table, to the PK (Transformers) in the 'Transformer Test Results' table?

When i do this i am given an error that goes along the lines of "You have duplicates in the PK field"

This is because the Composite Key is comprised of Transfomer AND Date.

How do i relate the composite key of Transformer AND Date (in the compositions table), to Transformer in the (Transformer ID Table)?

Cheers.

Windows 7 Access 2007
    I would *not* use a composit key. I would let each table have an AutoNumber as a PrimaryKey and the ManySide table would have a ForeignKey field named TransformerID with the appropriate LongInteger value from the other table in it. You do not need nor should you use a date to relate these two tables.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.