stardog is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit

Splitting DB refresher

I just have a couple of questions re: a small networked DB I plan on splitting. I fully understand the general concepts and have no problem performing the splitting function. But there are some gray areas which I am getting hung up on after the fact that I need clarification on.

For example sake, let's say the original DB is named Case Tracker, and it is currently located within a network folder called My Databases. After splitting, I'll end up with an additional file named Case Tracker_be, which is obviously the back end. Does this mean then that the file named Case Tracker automatically assumes the role of front end? If so, then what would I be physically distributing to each of the end users? Since (after splitting) each user would still be accessing the Case Tracker file on the network, would they at this point be working on a front end version of Case Tracker from their individual PC? This is the point that confuses me.

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    There should be one back end file (Data) in the shared folder. Each user should have a copy of the front end on their own machine which is then linked to the back end data file.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

Perceptus is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007
    Stardog,

I have a main data database with several split front ends. but they all reside on a network share. All users have that share mapped and each login to the database using a short to those files. I do not have copying of database front ends going to each users desktop. All the access files reside in the share.

This setup has been working since 1995. Originally the table references were managed by some custom code, but I now manage it all with the ms linked table manager that comes part of the access suite(sometimes not by default).

Hope this helps

Bob Fitz is offline Access Developer
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2003
    Quote Originally Posted by Perceptus View Post
    Stardog,

I have a main data database with several split front ends. but they all reside on a network share. All users have that share mapped and each login to the database using a short to those files. I do not have copying of database front ends going to each users desktop. All the access files reside in the share.

This setup has been working since 1995. Originally the table references were managed by some custom code, but I now manage it all with the ms linked table manager that comes part of the access suite(sometimes not by default).

Hope this helps
    If this means that multiple users are using a single front end file then IMHO you have been very lucky, so far.
    If this helped, please click the star at the bottom left of this posting and add to my reputation . Many thanks.
    Bob Fitzpatrick

stardog is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 64bit
    Thanks Bob. Which brings up my second point of confusion. After splitting, I assume I will then make a copy of Case Tracker, which will now serve as the front end. When distributing this copy to each user, should the front end be installed on each user's C: drive somewhere, or installed back on the network somewhere for easy access by each user? Which is the preferred method?

And either way, what do I need to do to link the various front ends to the back end?

I know lots of information is out there re: splitting tables, and I try to read as much as I can, but it's just the roadblocks I've mentioned above that seem to trip me up. I know it's an extremely simple procedure for experienced users, and conceptually I understand it all, but it's always the little details that become the sticking points. Tks again.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The frontend will probably run faster if located on user's local workstation.

If this db will be located on a network server for multiple users, recommend UNC (Universal Naming Convention) pathing for the table links. Review:
    http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...tc-324677.html
    http://forums.aspfree.com/microsoft-...ue-323364.html
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.