Eddy Sincere is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Open an attachment using a command button

I have a DB that organizes controlled documents because I work in a regulated industry. I currently have a copy of the regulations saved as a PDF and use a hyperlinked command button on a switchboard to access and open the PDF. This works well until I move my DB or the PDF file is inadvertently moved (which my IT department sometimes does). I want to avoid this problem by making the PDF file an attachment in the DB.

To do this I created a table with an attachment field then I inserted the PDF file. My problem is that I can't figure out how to link actually opening the attachment with a command button. I'm thinking there's some basic VBA that points the button to the specific field within the record in the table. Let me know if you'd like me to post the DB.

As always, thanks for the help.

ssanfu is offline Master of Nothing
    Windows XP Access 2000
    Adding documents in the database is a bad thing to do. Mostly because the database bloats and you reach the size limit rather quickly.

It would be better to have code relink the hyperlinks if the folder with the documents is moved.

However, that doesn't answer your question. Research the "VBA.Shell" command.
    See this link: https://www.accessforums.net/program...ent-23686.html

Thanks for the response. I completely agree that having attachments in the DB is a very bad thing to do which is why I use hyperlinks for everything. I'm limiting the attachment to one document because the content doesn't change and it's commonly referenced by everyone.

I'll take a look and let you know if we can mark this as solved. Thanks again!

I opted to keep using the hyperlink method as opposed to an attachment. There doesn't seem to be a quick and easy way (read: very little VBA) and the hyperlink is working fine. Thanks for the input.

AS

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.