Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thompyt is offline Expert
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Data Manipilation II

I am trying to get the info to show if it does not equal the information in a previous row where the Sub_No = 0

The original code is:

Code:
    IIf(([Sub_No]=0),[Unit],"") & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & IIf(([Sub_No]=0),[Section],"")
    This is what I have come up with, but I think it is circular and will always find that where Sub_No <> 0, it will be = to the row where Sub_No = 0.

Code:
     IIf(([Sub_No]=0),[Unit], (IIf(([Unit]=[Unit]),"",[Unit]))) & Chr(13) & Chr(10) & IIf(([Sub_No]=0),([Section]),(IIf(([Section]=[Section]),"",[Section])))
    My intent is if the Sub_No <> 0 it won'tdisplay [Unit] unless it is different from where Sub_No = 0

Data:
    CR_No=1
    Sub_No = 0....Unit =John
    Sub_No = 1....Unit =John

Sub_No = 2....Unit =Jane
    Sub_No = 3....Unit =John
    Sub_No = 4....Unit =Jay

Output:
    1.0....John
    .2....Jane
    .4....Jay

Don't worry about the CR_No, I have that figured out from Snafu assistance already.

Thanks

Maybe I need to stick a dlookup statement in there. What I don't know how to do is reference the Unit field i
    frm the original CR_No/Sub_No field. Any suggestions?

Lets simplify to a single field.

I am trying to get the info to show if it does not equal the information where the Sub_No = 0, CRs have to stay the same. (i.e. 1.0, 1.1)
    The original code is:

IIf(([Sub_No]=0),[Unit],"")

This is what I have come up with, but I think it is circular and will always find that where Sub_No <> 0, it will be = to the row where Sub_No = 0.

IIF(Sub_No=0, Unit, IIF(Unit<>Unit where Sub_No=0)

My intent is if the Sub_No <> 0 it won't display [Unit] unless it is different from where Sub_No = 0 How do I correctly put in the "Where" portion of the code? This is going into the Field header as an expression.

This is interesting that I seem to have stumped the experts.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Maybe not stumped but did not see thread. I often don't view threads that already have replies.

Yes, the expression is circular and won't work. Pulling value from another record of same table often requires a nested subquery.

Is Unit a text type field?

Perhaps:

IIf(Sub_No<>0 AND IsNull(DLookup("Unit", "tablename", "Sub_No=0 AND Unit='" & Unit & "'")), Unit, "")

or

IIf(Sub_No<>0 AND DCount("*", "tablename", "Sub_No=0 AND Unit='" & Unit & "'")=0, Unit, "")
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Dang, I thought a Dlookup might be in there, but my noviceness would ahve never gotten that. I should know better to call the experts out. :P Yes uUnit is a text field.

Thanks, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.

Update
    Code:
    UNITS: IIf([Sub_No]=0 And IsNull(DLookUp("Unit","[Change Request]",[Sub_No]=0 And [Unit]="" & [Unit] & "'")),[Unit],"")
    I used this one, but the only thing I can do is determine what is shut off, Sub_No=0 shuts off everything but where SUB_No=0, if I put Sub_No<>0 then the main SUb_No shuts off. No matter what I do to the latter part, one or the other is shut off.

The area I am not understanding full is: [Unit]="" & [Unit] & "'")),[Unit],"")

[Unit]="" Unit is Null
    & AND (concantenate)
    Unit For which Sub_no?
    & AND (concantenate)
    ""'" ???? This is a wild card?
    , Unit The true statement
    "" Where the statement is false put a null

June7 is offline VIP
    The doubled quotes is not a Null it is empty string.

The apostrophes are delimiters that define the parameter as a string (text) as opposed to a number or date.

You have replaced an apostrophe with a quote mark. Should be: [Unit]='"

Also missing quote mark at beginning of the WHERE argument. Look carefully again at my examples.

The code takes the Unit of current record and looks for a match in table according to the given parameters.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

June7,
    I tried different connotations of your code, I have a choice of unit where Sub-No=0 showing, or where sub_No<>0 I have cut and pasted the code. What I was looking for was where Sub_No is always displayed, and where Sub_No<>0, if the unit is the same, then do not display, or where the unit is not the same, display.

June7 is offline VIP
    As far as I can tell, my suggested code should accomplish that but I don't know your db.

CR-25MAR15.zip

June7,
    Example attached.

June7 is offline VIP
    Just opened your db. It immediately wants to run query. Get error message "Undefined function 'Date' in expression. What is going on?

What objects are related to the thread topic?

Try this one.

Dunno, I get that each time I change from a work computer to my home computer. Work is Office 2013, Home is Office 2010. What I have to do is to change the references in the VBA from MS Office 15 to MS Office 14.

Try this one. It has the minimal info needed. I forgot to add in the CR+Sub_no code

Minimal.zip
    Last edited by Thompyt; 03-25-2015 at 06:49 PM.

What if you used the control CR_Numbers instead of Sub_No=0"

In the same Query whe have the control CR_Numbers: [CR_No]+([Sub_No]*0.01)

Something like IIF([CR_Numbers]="wildcard.00" that would be more specific than Sub_No=0 of which there are possible multiple instances in that query.

What is the wildcard symbol for numbers? Yes I tried Google, Bing, Ask Jeeves....

June7 is offline VIP
    There is no wildcard for numbers and dates, only works for text.

Tried to open the report and get error messages about missing DLLs and undefined function 'Format' in expression.

I looked and the report RecordSource SQL and Format() function is not properly used.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.