enb_eng is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Why wouldn't I just want to upload the Access Database to Sharepoint vs an Access web database?

As I currently use Sharepoint, I upload and access plenty of files such as Word docs, PDFs, emails, excel files, etc.

Why would I want to create a 'web database' as opposed to a normal database that I just upload to the Sharepoint like the other files?

All info from Google searches begin talking about Sharepoint Apps and other things I am just not familiar enough with yet to understand the benefits of the web database.

Thank-you
    Last edited by June7; 05-18-2015 at 10:52 AM.

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I haven't messed around with either and from what I've read I would try everything I could NOT to use either. Most of the experienced folks here use a lot of VBA to run their databases and from what I've read of both Web and sharepoint databases is that code/modules will not work you have to do everything through macros which I find too limiting. Sharepoint questions usually do not get a lot of responses from the frequent posters here (at least that I've noticed), I think primarily for this reason.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    here is the deal; you can post a single user Access db to sharepoint just like an Excel or Word doc - and it is just that - single user. If that is sufficient that works fine. But most databases are multi user so for a multi user scenario it is a completely different situation.

Obviously a web app is multi user. So that is why one might use it. I myself consider the web development features of Access to be limited and do not work with it. Because my client base is generally advanced & complex. To my view for that effort one instead would use the premier Microsoft web development tool which is Visual Studio for an ASP .Net implementation. But the Access web forms are what they are - and if they meet the need I think they are probably fine.

The other choice beginning with Access 2013 is to put just the back end file onto SharePoint as SharePoint Lists - and link to them from the FE on the local computer. This is pretty cool and I have set up several of them.

warren0127 is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    NTC - when you say you link the lists, are you referring to the option under "Import and Link" and then "Link" (connect) the tables to SP lists? I am using this method and havent experienced hardly any issues. As long as you continue to "Save it back to sharepoint" it is fine - sometimes I forget to do this, and the DB changes do not sync and lost all of my edits and had to redo them but now I am pretty used to saving it back into sharepoint.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Based on your description you are doing a 'work local'; which is single user - plus the issue you note of forgetting to update.
    With 2013/365 one can permanently link to the table/lists in the cloud and work real time multi user. It is not however well documented by Microsoft. And because no one can guarantee the network - it is a little more challenging to resolve issues.

Part of the '365 aware' aspect of 2013 (that's Microsoft's terminology) - once you open the Access app it automatically links to the 365 tables/lists; one doesn't have to do any log on at all (after initial set up).

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.