faodavid is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Database External user not on same server and securing of info

Hi
    I am an absolute beginner and have just built a basic database to be used for a band booking agency. I hope to start taking on a few freelance agents who would be paying me a % of commission earned- they will be based from their homes and not on the same server.

Is it possible for me to give them access to part or all of the database so that they can run queries to target venue mailshots etc if so how would i do this?

Secondly my concern is that the database is valuable and I want to protect myself from potential theft of info, ie what stops them taking the database and using it for there own purposes?

Any help would be great

Thanks
    Dave

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    For a geographically distributed user base - using Access rather than a web application - the 2 choices are:
    a. Access 2013 with Office 365 Small Business cloud service for the back end tables ~$15/user/mo
    b. Remote App hosting (i.e. AccessHosting.com) ~$100 set up then ~$30/user/mo

The first approach is less expensive per month but really most suitable only when it involves internal employees where you dictate their technology. The latter is more appropriate to your case because:
    * Remote App relies on RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) which is on all Windows machines, Apple, some Android even
    * user does not need Access or Office

In regard to security; in all cases they 'see' the data - meaning they can of course do screen shots or print outs - no way around that. But in the second set up they have zero ability to actually download any file.

faodavid is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    For a geographically distributed user base - using Access rather than a web application - the 2 choices are:
    a. Access 2013 with Office 365 Small Business cloud service for the back end tables ~$15/user/mo
    b. Remote App hosting (i.e. AccessHosting.com) ~$100 set up then ~$30/user/mo

The first approach is less expensive per month but really most suitable only when it involves internal employees where you dictate their technology. The latter is more appropriate to your case because:
    * Remote App relies on RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) which is on all Windows machines, Apple, some Android even
    * user does not need Access or Office

In regard to security; in all cases they 'see' the data - meaning they can of course do screen shots or print outs - no way around that. But in the second set up they have zero ability to actually download any file.
    Thanks for this, I'll look into both

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.