BRZ-Ryan is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Best practice for data storage in db

My company monitors phone call stats for each agent that we have. Per month, there are approx 3600 records (9 categories * 400 agents) containing about 4 different fields that are imported into a spreadsheet with a VBA macro that I wrote. I also wrote a macro that averages these 9 categories into an average so I end up with just 400 records (the averages) that I actually need in the database.

I currently import all call data into a spreadsheet, do average calculations, then export averages to my Access database. I was thinking of placing all data into the database directly instead of doing all of the work in a spreadsheet first.

Do databases begin to run slower as they get larger? My concern with doing this is having 3600 additional records per month. I do like being able to exclude the spreadsheet from this process, though.

Any info\advice is appreciated

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, queries, forms, reports can perform slower with large datasets, especially if passing data over network and the objects have complex structure. Speed of network is also a factor.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

NTC is offline VIP
    Assuming a Win 7 machine with at least 4G RAM; 3600 records/month you won't see any speed problems for a decade..... Your hunch to eliminate the excel sheet step is a good one. I don't think you will have any problem.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.