Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003

I really do not know how much clearer to be...

I am assuming your friend has a version of access installed.

Without the error handling when Access encounters an error there should be a pop up saying the database has encountered an error and allow you to select 'Debug' or 'End'

If you click the 'debug' button from the pop up it should take you directly to the line of code that it is encountering an error on.

Does your database exhibit this behavior on your friend's computer when you remove the error handling?

If your friend DOES NOT have a full version of access installed and is, instead, only using runtime components you will not be able to identify the line of code, that is a problem.

Stop thinking the error is in the code, we know it runs properly on some computers, we are trying to identify why it doesn't work on a different computer, the problem is likely with your references somewhere and without being able to identify the line this is going to go nowhere even faster than it has :P

Barring that, the only thing I can think to do is have both
    COMCTL32.OCX (this is the one you are currently referencing in your database)
    AND
    MSCOMCTL.OCX (the 'newer' version I think)
    on the machine that will be running your database, it may be as simple as copying the .ocx file to the SYSTEM folder of the host computer (that's basically what I did) and use what I think is called a 'late binding' to call the common dialog controls.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum...t=1980010&#r17

If this link doesn't go to a link by 'matt11' scrolldown to it after going here:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1980010

ahmed_one is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Yes that's what I thought, removing error handling should bring popup with Ok and Debug buttons, but unfortunately that is not happening. The error message only show with OK button.

I will definitely try your other suggestions regarding copy old and newer ocx files to other pc, and I will also try to change the code with Late binding.

thanks for your kind help.

regards

Ahmed

maxhugen is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2007
    I'm getting exactly the same error. I'm using MSCOMCTL.OCX.

My app started life ~15 years ago, and has progressed through A2000, A2003, and within the last 4 months, A2007 and now A2010.

I believe it's a corruption somewhere, presumably in the form itself. And it's not the first form that I've had corruption issues with since converting to A2007/A2010.

On my development machine, I received the error every time I opened the form. So I put a code break in the code that first calls the problem form (DoCmd.OpenForm "mwbsAssign"), and stepped through the code, trying to pinpoint where/how the error pops up. Lo and behold! The form opened AOK! So I removed the breaks, tried again, and now the form opens without error.

The app is delivered to clients on a server via TS, using an accde file. However, I also have the accdb file saved to the server as a backup, so I tried the same thing there, using RDP. Again, I put a break on the DoCmd.OpenForm code line, and started stepping through - but it did NOT step into the problem form's OnLoad event! This event calls a function which "loads" the ListView.

The form still opened, displayed the same error, and several columns in the list showed 'garbled' characters.

The fact that the list did show records indicates that the code to populate it DID run, yet neither the code breaks in the form's OnLoad or in the function it calls, stopped the code, nor did stepping through code step into that event or the function.

Conclusion: something in Access is definitely corrupt. I suspect the form itself.

How the form "fixed" itself on my dev machine when I stepped through code remains a mystery to me. It did not fix itself when I tried the same on the server.

In summary, the whole app seems unstable, with a number of forms seemingly corrupt etc. One by one I've sort of fixed them, but I think I'll try starting with a clean 2010 database, and import all the objects to it, and see if the issues remain.

ahmed_one is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by maxhugen View Post
    I'm getting exactly the same error. I'm using MSCOMCTL.OCX.

My app started life ~15 years ago, and has progressed through A2000, A2003, and within the last 4 months, A2007 and now A2010.

I believe it's a corruption somewhere, presumably in the form itself. And it's not the first form that I've had corruption issues with since converting to A2007/A2010.

On my development machine, I received the error every time I opened the form. So I put a code break in the code that first calls the problem form (DoCmd.OpenForm "mwbsAssign"), and stepped through the code, trying to pinpoint where/how the error pops up. Lo and behold! The form opened AOK! So I removed the breaks, tried again, and now the form opens without error.

The app is delivered to clients on a server via TS, using an accde file. However, I also have the accdb file saved to the server as a backup, so I tried the same thing there, using RDP. Again, I put a break on the DoCmd.OpenForm code line, and started stepping through - but it did NOT step into the problem form's OnLoad event! This event calls a function which "loads" the ListView.

The form still opened, displayed the same error, and several columns in the list showed 'garbled' characters.

The fact that the list did show records indicates that the code to populate it DID run, yet neither the code breaks in the form's OnLoad or in the function it calls, stopped the code, nor did stepping through code step into that event or the function.

Conclusion: something in Access is definitely corrupt. I suspect the form itself.

How the form "fixed" itself on my dev machine when I stepped through code remains a mystery to me. It did not fix itself when I tried the same on the server.

In summary, the whole app seems unstable, with a number of forms seemingly corrupt etc. One by one I've sort of fixed them, but I think I'll try starting with a clean 2010 database, and import all the objects to it, and see if the issues remain.
    Yes, that's what I thought something wrong with Access when using ocx other then default. So the best bet is NOT to use any other ocx..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.