JoshuaEir is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Cool Using less screens and clicks.

I need to organize forms to use less screens and less clicks. I am wondering if this would be done using subforms. Is there a way to drag a form onto another form and the forms will continue to work?

I am using Access 2007.

Thank you, JoshuaEir

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What do you mean by 'continue to work' - some code might have to be modified.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    What types of code needs to be modified? Do you know of a succinct demonstration of this?

Thanks,
    JoshEir

June7 is offline VIP
    Depends on the code you have, if any. Test it and see what breaks. Case-by-case analysis.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    I'm assuming from your response it is a simple drag to a control? The Access computer is not accessible until Monday.

JoshuaEir

Anyone? (I just think that would be so cool!)

June7 is offline VIP
    A subform can be created by dragging a form onto another form. Another way is to drag subform/subreport control from Design ribbon and set the control's SourceObject property.

Windows XP Access 2007
    What are some strategies for simplifying a database program so that it has less clicks and screens? I was considering using subforms but now I am wondering how this would actually be done. I was thinking that until the button is pressed on the containing form the subform would have disabled controls and when the containing form's button was pressed the subform's controls would have the enabled controls and the containing form controls would be disabled. What other ways are there?

Thank You,
    JoshuaEir

June7 is offline VIP
    Form/subform may mean less 'screens' but not necessarily less clicks - still have to click to move between subforms. I don't have code that enables/disables controls just because of change in focus. Don't really see what benefit that offers.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Well, I was thinking the subform is dependent upon the completion of the parent? form.

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Joshua,

What are some strategies for simplifying a database program so that it has less clicks and screens?
    The best strategy most of the time is to have a full and complete description of the business issue/opportunity in plain simple English. Identify the business rules involved. Create a data model showing proposed tables and relationships. Create test data and scenarios and test them against the data model. Make sure it all works on paper before building the database. Now that you know the business rules are satisfied by the evolving model, use it to build the database and interfaces. Don't jump into Access or any dbms too quickly.
    Much like building a house, or airplane or shopping center ---analyze requirements, design a few models to ensure it meets expectations, create a blueprint, build...

Good luck.

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes, subform container could be disabled until main form record is completed. This would only be useful when moving to new record on main form - to prevent user clicking into subform and entering data without parent record committed. I often forget about this form/subform dependency because most of the databases I've built don't have this issue. I do have one where I could see this might be useful but there is zero code in that little db so we just educate the users not to enter into subforms without main form data.

Windows XP Access 2007

Thanks.

Thank you June7,

JoshuaEir

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.