paul32 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013

Returning values of several fields from 1 record to use as Row Source of combo box

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Access so my apologies if I have missed something basic, but I can't seem to get my head around this issue.

I am trying to use a query as a Row Source for a combo box to provide the user with a list of choices. I'd like the choices to be the values stored in four different fields from a single record.

How do I use a query to return the values from multiple fields but from the same record so I can use it as a list of choices in a combo box?

If anyone can point me in the right direction or show me an alternate solution that would be much appreciated! Thanks everyone!

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Sounds like data structure is not normalized. A UNION query could rearrange the data. There is no query builder or wizard for UNION, must type in SQL View of query designer.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

paul32 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2013
    Yes! After reading about data normalization I can see how this issue could have been ignored altogether with a different database design. Unfortunately, I have to work with what already exists.

Thank you for suggesting a UNION query, it looks promising for what I need to do.

In case anyone else has any suggestions here is some additional information about what I'm trying to accomplish:
    -Each record in inventory has four fields that contain 4 different prices for each item
    -When creating orders users need to choose 1 of the 4 pricing options for each item they have added to an order

I was hoping to accomplish this by using a combo box and a query but once I opened up the query design I realized that it wouldn't be as straightforward as I hoped.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.