lowesthertz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit

Error Message when opening Database

If I have multiple users that try to access the database at the same time, the second user gets the following message:

"you do not have exclusive access to the database at this time. If you proceed to make changes, you may not be able to save them later."

I have done a lot of reading on the topic and have not found a solution yet. From the other threads that I have read, here are some answers to the questions that I kept seeing.

1) yes, the database is split into front and back ends
    2) I have checked the computers of the users and they are setup in their options to open the database as shared, not exclusive
    3) The database resides on a company network. The users are opening the front end application directly. When the database opens, there is an autoexec macro that basically opens a switchboard. Not data entry on that screen, just buttons.
    4) there are no security groups or anything setup, anybody can access the front end if they know where it is
    5) I do not have any stuck record locking files sitting in the directory. They disappear when the user exists the file.

I hope that someone can help me out, this is the last major hurdle for me to go live.
    Thanks
    Chris

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Does each user have a copy of the FE on their own PC? If not, they should.

lowesthertz is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2010 32bit
    Are you saying that they should not be accessing the same front end file which is currently on a network drive? I should have the users copy and paste the FE onto their computer?

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes!
    You may also want to investigate Front end Updater. A number of people have automated routines such that if a change is made to the FE, the "official FE" in a known location is changed.
    And when each user logs on, the first step is to see if his local copy of the FE matches the official FE, if it does--continue. If it does Not, then copy the official FE to the local PC then continue.
    The process is 1 FE --stored in a known location -- every user gets his/her own copy of that FE on their machine.
    The auto updater takes care of ensuring everyone has the latest version of the FE on their PC.

idbtao is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2002
    Are you saying that they should not be accessing the same front end file which is currently on a network drive???

Windows XP Access 2003
    Yes!! Every user should have their own copy of the FE on their own PC. BE should be on shared drive.

Google to get more answers/suggestions
    Here is a starting point.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.