tis_only_me is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2003

Post Using a button on search form to open a hyperlink in a table

Hi, I have a table which contains all my data. Each item has a unique part number amongst all the data and also has a hyperlink which takes you to the manufacturers drawing of the item held locally. To allow the data to be searched comprehensively I have a form with an unbound text box in which you type whatever you know about the item you are looking for, and the results list box updates what is shown in it accordingly. The data in the list box is pulled from the aforementioned table by a query. Due to the amount of data that needs to be searched through I dont have space to show the hyperlink for the drawing of each item. I was therefore wondering if it is possible to have a button on the form, which when pressed will ask for the unique part number you have found, and automatically open the related hyperlink. I know II can half do this by running a query which finds that record, but you still then have to navigate to the link and click.

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    You can include the hyperlink field in the listbox row source but hide it. Then behind a button or the doublt-click event of the listbox you can use the hidden column:

Me.ListboxName.Column(x)

where x is the zero-based column number with the hyperlink.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Windows XP Access 2003

Angry

Thanks for the reply. I tried to do as you suggested but it didnt want to work. I dont know if that has something to do with the way the listbox is being populated, or my hyperlinks. They do work from inside the table, or from a form when you have specified that they are hyperlinks for that that field. I have attached two screen grabs, the first shows the listbox when initially opened, the second after you start to search it for an item (the hyperlinks are under the heading drawing link on the right hand side). The box called Search: has an event procedure 'on change' which causes the box Results: to requery itself and therefore update accordingly. In the Query behind the listbox, each entry that can be searched has the following code: Like "*" & [forms]![FRM_SearchMulti]![SrchText] & "*"
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1.PNG   2.PNG  

Windows XP Access 2003
    HI, Thanks for your help. Using what you suggested I have done some more searching on the internet and managed to get it to work .

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Glad you got it going.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.