Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thompyt is offline Expert
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Sending out a report with a specific File name

When I send a Report email out through VBA, I have figured out how to format the email body and subject, and select the attachment format. How do I set the attachment name?

Currently it saves at the reports base name. I.E. (By Field Report.pdf)

I want it to save as "By Field - " & [Field Name]" - " & Format(Date("dd mmm yyyy"))

So it looks like: By Field - Simulation - 12 Feb 2015.pdf

I understand it would be a save in the temp folder and would be gone as soon as the mail is sent. I can have another button if I want to save locally, or add code to save to the right folder (That's for another thread/day).

Thanks

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    What method are you using to send email with attachment - SendObject? Cannot set attachment name with SendObject method.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Yes, it is SendObject. So for me to do this then I would have to save the file in a temp location. Then get the file and attach to the email, all in order to have the file naming convention I want?

June7 is online now VIP
    Yes, could not use SendObject method.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Dang, Thank you June, I'll have to figure out how to do it the long way, so I can be lazy on the other end.

June7 is online now VIP
    Do you know code for manipulating Outlook object?

Not really. I know enough to be dangerous to myself and others....

June7 is online now VIP
    Okay, when you have specific issue, come back and will try to answer.

June, lets make it simpler for me,
    I would like to save the file name to a temp location. Filename is of my choosing, but automated naming.

Could I put it like:

[Report]![By Field Report] & " - " & [Fieldname] & Format(Date(), "ddmmmyyy") or sum such code?

June7 is online now VIP
    Would have to use OutputTo method.

And yes, can then specify file path and name.

June7
    Got this part kind of figured out. It comes out with "By Field - - 23Feb2105" I would like " "By Field - [Whatever fieldname is selected] - 23Feb2105"

expression .OutputTo(ObjectType, ObjectName, OutputFormat, OutputFile, AutoStart, TemplateFile, Encoding, OutputQuality)

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "By Field Report", acFormatPDF, "By Field - " & Field_Name & " - " & Format(Date, "dd mmm yyyy") & ".PDF", , False

I get an "invalid or unqualified reference" error on !Field_Name.

I have yet to figure out the location part. I am on a "multiuser" system and my documents go under a my user login name. I am also not too sure where I put the location reference.

C:\users\username\My Documents\TempA This would be part of the output file, after the aoutput format and includes the file name.

June7 is online now VIP
    Do you want the document filed into the My Documents of whomever is logged onto the computer?
    Does everyone have a TempA folder in My Documents?

DoCmd.OutputTo acOutputReport, "By Field Report", acFormatPDF, "C:\users\" & Environ("USERNAME") & "\My Documents\TempA\By Field - " & Me.correctfieldnamehere & " - " & Format(Date, "dd mmm yyyy") & ".PDF", , False

If you want the 'correctfieldnamehere' to be a dynamic reference for field name that provides this value, that is another issue.

June7,
    Got it to save 1 time correctly, changing the field_name caused an issue.

Yes I am trying to get a dynamically linked field_name from:

SELECT Field.Field_ID, Field.[Field Name], System.[System Name], Nomenclature.Nomenclature, Component.Component, Version.Version, Accreditation.[ACC_#], Accreditation.[Type _ACC], Accreditation.Accred, Accreditation.Expires, Accreditation.Compliance, Main.Hold
    FROM Version RIGHT JOIN (System RIGHT JOIN (Nomenclature INNER JOIN (Field INNER JOIN (Component INNER JOIN (Accreditation INNER JOIN Main ON Accreditation.Accred_ID = Main.Accred_ID) ON Component.Comp_ID = Main.Comp_ID) ON Field.Field_ID = Main.Field_ID) ON Nomenclature.Nomen_ID = Main.Nomen_ID) ON System.SYS_ID = Main.SYS_ID) ON Version.Vers_ID = Main.Vers_ID
    GROUP BY Field.Field_ID, Field.[Field Name], System.[System Name], Nomenclature.Nomenclature, Component.Component, Version.Version, Accreditation.[ACC_#], Accreditation.[Type _ACC], Accreditation.Accred, Accreditation.Expires, Accreditation.Compliance, Main.Hold
    HAVING (((Field.[Field Name]) Like [forms]![By Field].[My Field] & "*"))
    ORDER BY Field.Field_ID;

I am using a [By Field] Form in conjunction with the By Field Query. The field name is directed to the Field table and selects it by order of Field_ID showing the names of Field_Name. The issue I am getting now is that when I select a Field_Name it rewrites the first Field_Name in row 1.

June7 is online now VIP
    Not sure I understand.

The value of Field_Name determines which field of the record to use in the export naming?

Is there a control on the [By Field] form bound to the Field_Name field? What is name of that control?

Maybe:

"\My Documents\TempA\By Field - " & Me.Controls(Me.[control name]) & " - "

Name of the control is [My Field] in [Forms]![By Field] In [Query]![By Field] the control is [Field Name] in the criteria I have: Like [forms]![By Field].[My Field] & "*"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.