DaveP is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013

Editing saved imports in Access 2013 to accept user input of text files

I am running Windows 8.1 and Access 2013. I have an Access 2013 database into which I am constantly importing text files. The procedure for importing the text file is exactly the same in every case except for the name and location of the text file and the table into which the file would be imported. I would like to save/run the steps of the import until it comes to the point where the user would need to enter the name/location of the text file and the name of the table into which the text file would be imported.

When I do this manually, Access asks me if I want to save the import, but the saved import of course includes the actual file name and the same table, which I need to change every time I run it. I can't find any way in Access to edit the import steps to allow for user input. Can somebody tell me if this exists in Access 2013?

Thanks.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    it does not exist as a pre made feature. it is do-able via vb code. first you must use the TransferText method and will want to look that up. In that are parameters for file name / path - but because it is text in vb you can dynamically change it .... that's the overall view

DaveP is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by NTC View Post
    it does not exist as a pre made feature. it is do-able via vb code. first you must use the TransferText method and will want to look that up. In that are parameters for file name / path - but because it is text in vb you can dynamically change it .... that's the overall view

Thanks for your help.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.