105tt is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 64bit

"Unrecognized database format..." error when opening database

Hi,

I have a database that I split into a back end and front end. I have pw protected the back end and have created an ACCDE file to distribute to others to use. A number of people have been using this database and have never had problems opening the file. However, one colleague of mine is not able to access the file. Upon opening the database, a window pops up saying "Unrecognized database format.." along with the file location of the back end database. She has access to the shared folder where the back end and front end databases are stored. She also has access to the same version of MS Access it was created in. Also, the file is definitely not corrupted because everyone else is able to access it. I read that these are the issues could be the reason for the error, but it doesn't seem to be either of the these. Does anyone have any idea why this error is occurring?

Also, when trying to open the back end ACCDB file with the password on her computer, it gives the same error. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

orange is online now Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    A copy of the front end should be on each user's PC.

105tt is offline Novice
    Hi thanks for your response.
    Yes, the users all have a copy of the front end on their desktop to use. My colleague has tried accessing this file both on her desktop as well as directly from the shared folder. In both cases, she still received the unrecognized database error. She is the only one who can't open it.. Any idea why this could be happening?

Rawb is offline Expert
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Can the user with trouble access other databases successfully? Try creating a dummy database, converting it to an ACCDE and see if they can open it successfully. If they can't, then it's definitely an issue with their Access installation. Try running a Repair install and if that doesn't work, completely reinstall from scratch.

If none of the above helps, it's possible that it's a network issue, which may be difficult to properly diagnose. Try swapping the user's computer with another one in the office. If the user's computer still has trouble when plugged into a different jack and the other computer continues to work fine, you can try replacing the network card non the problem computer. If the other computer has trouble when moved, then it's likely an issue with the jack itself, the cabling in the wall, or the switch port it's plugged into.

105tt is offline Novice
    Thank you so much for your reply! There is another database I had her try opening and it still have the same error.
    I will have her repair/re-install Access to see if that works..
    Thank you!

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    in this dialog string I see no mention of version/edition.... this is a normal error message if one has an old version i.e. 2007 and attempting to open an app built in a newer version that has features unique to the new version that the older version cannot understand....

105tt is offline Novice
    Yeah, I came across that while trying to google a solution as well. I checked with her and she appears to have the same version of access in which it was created with..so I crossed that off my list.. Thanks though!

smswan is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013
    I'm curious if the repair/re-install Access worked for you? I'm having the same problem with only one user getting the error.

105tt is offline Novice
    Hi,
    Yes, from what I recall, I believe the repair/re-install of Access worked. Sorry, it's been a while since then so I can't remember exactly what was done to fix the issue but I think that's what we did. Hope that works out for you!

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.