deguza is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2010 32bit

Unencrypted Access Database frontend opens the encrypted backend without password. Is this normal?

Hello all,

I just encrypted the backend of our departmental DB. Followed the instructions on https://support.office.com/en-ca/art...0-fdb2673457ab

I then de-linked from the frontend all the backend tables.

Re-linked tables back again.

I closed and opened the frontend (which does not have encryption at this point), I was surprised to find out that I can open the encrypted backend without any password!

Is this normal?

(Since then I encrypted the f/e as well with the same password as the b/e, which I will be distributing to the other users.)

Thanks,

Deguza

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The instructions you followed specifically say to expect the behavior you encountered.

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    When one attempts to newly link to an encrypted db (i.e. a front to back) for which the tables do not yet appear in the front - - one must supply the password in order to do that.

There is no such thing as 'de-link'...and so if you 'deleted' the tables from the front end; and go to make them again you must have the password.... but if you are simply refreshing the links because let's say you moved the back end...the password is not needed because it is stored in the front end and passes it to the back end database regardless of the path between them......

What this may be leading to - is having the front end tables delete via a mechanism...so if someone walks off with both front & back files then they can't use the front any more....but that's a different topic....

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.