KirstyP is offline Novice
    Windows 8 Access 2010 32bit

Form and Binding Records

Hi,

I have created a database with five tables and am now, and have been banging my head over it for the past 5 days, trying to create forms to add and edit information. However when I go to add the Combo Box to ‘Find a record on my form based on the value I selected in my Combo box', it doesn't appear. I know this means that I have not bound my resources but I can not nut out where I have gone wrong. I am at the point that I will send it to a professional if I can not work it out myself as I am at wits end.

I have attached a screen dump of what I have and the relationships, any advice would be amazing. If not, please shoot away any names and emails for who I can send it to?

Thank you,
    Kirsty
    Attached Files Attached Files

pbaldy is offline Who is John Galt?
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Can't open the attachment right now, but typically the wizard will only show that option if the form is bound directly to a table, not a query or SQL.
    Paul (wino moderator)
    MS Access MVP 2007-2019
    www.BaldyWeb.com

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    You are linking three tables on PK fields (Band). I am assuming none of these are autonumber type. Can only link on PK fields if the tables have a 1-to-1 relationship.

Why is Band Member a separate table if there can be only one record for each band? As structured, each band can have only 3 members. This is not a normalized table.

Surely each band will have multiple events, therefore, Band cannot be a unique identifier in Events.

Advise not to use spaces or special characters/punctuation (underscore is exception) in naming convention. Better would be ManagerPhone or Manager_Phone. Each manager will have multiple phone records?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thanks Paul, I know that it must not be bound, but as far as I can see it is? I just feel like I have been watching the same page now for so long.
    I am creating the Form straight from the 'Bands' table and collaborating the Managers and Band Members information to the one form, I just can't see why it isn't bound?
    If all else fails, does anyone know of a quick business to send it to and have fresh eyes over it?

June7 is offline VIP
    Did you see my earlier post?

If you want to provide db for analysis, follow instructions at bottom of my post.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Hi June, thank you very much. I must have replied at the same time as you posted and then walked off. Once kids are in bed I will have a look.
    Thank you again, fantastic knowledge source all in one place.

Hi,

I have just checked and my 'Bands' tables are all one - to one.

Yes I agree on the managers and events tables, but these were prescribed to me and they don't want to change it.
    Attached Files Attached Files

June7 is offline VIP
    Each band can have only one event?

Each band is limited to 3 members?

Which form? None have a combobox.

The subform containers have tables as SourceObject, not forms. Cannot have code behind tables (except for data macros and those won't do what you want).

Still advise not to use spaces and special characters/punctuation (underscore is exception) in naming convention.

I add a combobox to each form and the 'Find ...' option is available. Cannot replicate the issue. However, even if the wizard isn't working for you, can create the code manually.

Yes, I agree with the events and limitation to members, I have raised that myself. But it is a small regional council so it probably won't have more than that anyway. I will chip away at getting them to agree.
    I was attempting to put a combobox in a form, including Band, Band Members, Genre, Manager and Manager contact to ensure to edit and create new bands etc.

I have also fixed the titles, there are no longer spacing between any of them.

June7 is offline VIP
    Special characters/punctuation?

Don't know what you mean by " including Band, Band Members, Genre, Manager and Manager contact to ensure to edit and create new bands etc."

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.