raffi is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2013

Read only and Full access users on network and 1 back-end Database

hello, i have split my database and placed the back-end in a network server, and i have 6 front end users, linked to the 1 back-end in the server, the problem is, i have full permission access to the network so i can do Data-Entry and 5 other users have read only permission, and as it turned out, i cant update records, while read only users are in the form, after reading couple of forms, the answer to the problem is as always, provide full access to all users, well after proposing the idea, it got rejected due to file vulnerability, alright.. after a few days i introduced SharePoint to the team, again to no avail...so we resorted to the ridicules method, where i have the Back-End DB on my desktop linked to my front-end again on the desktop, and every 4 hours or so, i would copy replace the back-end on the server with my newly updated back-end on the desktop, ok this is unproductive...

okey..i had this idea...

where desktop Back-End DB is = to the Server Back-End DB

so basically the 2 Back-End Databases will be linked, in a manner where the Back-End DB Desktop Duplicates itself constantly automatically to the server Back-End DB

or in a much more simplified term, to auto copy Desktop Back-End DB to Server Back-End DB

maybe a file duplicator application... or a VB code,

and there's a nice benefit to this, u will always have a backup of the Back-End, should the administrator for an odd reason delete the Back-End which is in the server,

it would be a great time saver and a great solution, and any help would be much appreciated thanks in advance.
    Last edited by raffi; 01-08-2015 at 06:12 AM.

ranman256 is offline VIP
    Windows Vista Access 2010 32bit
    My users have read/write to the file BUT
    my user table has users set to RO
    internal code gets the user rights and opens queries as dyanaset or snapshot, or forms as RO

docmd.OpenForm "frm",,,,acFormReadOnly
    docmd.OpenQuery qsQry,,acReadOnly

NTC is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    this is overly complicated due to a lack of understanding; all users must use a front end file linked to the common back end file. Those that are read-only and those that are allowed to edit/add is defined by the front end features.

One method is to lock all the form fields in one version of the front end and give that version to the read-only users....while editors use a different version of the front end that has unlocked fields.... Access is inherently multi user and no one is locked out of the database when others use it if it is installed correctly.

Ty I will try that ! Ill lock all the fields soon as I get to work

dident work

hmm .. maybe if i can simplify it it would be easier

like ok ... when data entry takes place on the front-end, the back-end data will be updated right ? well im looking for a way for the back-end, to update another back-end

because i have 1 back-end stored on my desktop, and 1 back-end stored inside the server, and i do have full access to the server but however others dont
    and from what i'v learned, users with different permissions cant link to the same access back-end database.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.