pattrickcolin is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Access Labels, How do I Force Line Breaks in my 5x5 label Report Print Out

My database prints out selected records from my 'Stamp' Database. It prints out 5x5 labels as a continuous record, without line breaks.
    What I would like to do is add a random line break before the first line which holds the 'date' of an individual record.
    This would be done in the database. So what do I type into this non-printable field to force this line break?
    Or is there another way?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails stamp page.JPG  

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Access reports don't have 'lines' and 'line breaks'. Have records, page breaks, group sections.

So this report is a multi-column arrangement?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Thank you for the reply.
    The report is a multi-column arrangement.
    Will 'group sections' do the equivalent of a line break? e.g within the page.

June7 is offline VIP
    Yes. Groups will display continuously. But not sure how this will work with multi-column setup.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.JPG 
Views:	13 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	19263
    Hi.
    I need my report be in sort order (as representated by Red Numbering)
    I have added a black highlighted field populated on 3 occasions by number "1". It is at this point I would like to insert a line break.
    I can add grouping but this either pulls all the three "1"s together which is not what I want. This also alters the overall sort order.
    Can I substitute the "1" to force a line break?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Random page breaks.... I've never even attempted that, but it seems to me it's not random, you have specific spots you want a page break to occur. You just have to find a way to group your data so a static page break will do the trick.

Here's a link on inserting page breaks programmatically:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/o...0-fce78309516c

Thank you 'rpeare'.
    The required page breaks I require, are very random.
    The suggestion offerered relies on Grouping. Grouping does not seem to work, as I require the overall report to print out to be in 'SORT' order. adding Grouping overides the overall Sort.
    Any other suggestions?

June7 is offline VIP
    Need criteria (a rule) to base the 'line break' on - that is a grouping. You say 'random' but then you place the 1 identifier in specific locations. What rule led to those placement decisions?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    The code I linked was for an excel document, here's something specifically for access:

http://www.office-archive.com/13-ms-...c711de6039.htm

your page breaks are not random, you just want them at random locations within your dataset, that being after every third instance of the number 1 for a specific field. You would have to find a way to adapt the code for your needs.

Dear 'June7' & 'rpeare'
    Some of the Groupings are based on a series of stamps issued. Some on different Types of Stamps. Some with Overprints. Some Groups on 'Date of Issue'
    Where I have say 5 stamps in a group of 7 then I'd like to Group, but 5 stamps within a group of 20 then I wouldn't want to group.
    There is no hard and fast rules which would set Grouping.
    However I need to Print Out in Number Order, Grouping would pull certain stamps into a Grouping and I would lose the overall SORT order of the finished pages.
    Grouping does not achieve my goal.
    Q Can I substitute the "1" within the added boxes, namely stamps 7, 11 and 29c, and start these on a new line using multi-column setup?

rpeare is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2003
    I have no clue what you just asked.

What it comes down to is this, if you have no rules for when/how the page breaks will occur you can't possibly expect MS Access to figure it out for you. I believe we are having difficulty explaining to one another and perhaps if you provided a sample database we might get somewhere.

repeare
    I want the ability to tell Access where I want to do a line break.
    In the 25 box example for Angola as shown above. Stamps 7, 11 and 29c (numbers are printed in Red for clarity) I have put a number "1" in the box, (See example). This is where I want to do a line break in using multi-column setup for the 25 labels shown. I don't want page breaks but a line break. I still want the SORT order to stay the same.
    If I GROUP by the "1" then stamps 7,11 and 29c are grouped together. This is not what I want, as I lose the overall SORT order of the Report. I want the whole report to be in number order.
    (Yes I know that stamp 29c could have a separate number & Grouping)

Grouping is not the answer to my problem.

So I ask the same question. Is there anyway to substitute the "1" as shown in the highlighted box to do a line break?

I'm grateful for any suggestions. If you think a sample database would help I could set about doing this. I do realize that I can limit/select the stamps that I send to REPORTS and this may be the only way forward. Unless anyone has other ideas.

June7 is offline VIP
    Basically, the answer is no. There is no 'line break'. Access is not a word processing application.

The only solution I see is to assign some sort of grouping criteria. Essentially, every record is in the same top level group - give it a value of 1 in a field for this purpose. This field can be created by expression in query. Then the next group level would be according to whatever rules you want to apply. Probably have to manually assign this value to each record in table field.

june7
    Thank you for your reply. Did not think it was possible (Unless any one knows any different).
    Think one workaround would be grouping the stamps, prior to sending them to the report print out stage, e.g sending stamps 7; then 11; then up to 29c etc etc. your workaround would save many pages but entails lots of work.
    With 401,00 plus stamps in database this may be the impossible dream.
    If I could keep this thread as unresolved, I would be grateful.
    It may get resolved in the future.

June7 is offline VIP
    Unless you can define some standardized rules for the second level grouping, basically impossible to automate. That leaves data entry.

And your 'rules' are complicated in that the group ID for one record is dependent on other records, such as how many records of a particular category:

Where I have say 5 stamps in a group of 7 then I'd like to Group, but 5 stamps within a group of 20 then I wouldn't want to group.

And that statement really didn't make much sense to me.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.