Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sunnyday is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 64bit
    No the field not defined as a primary key . The user form is based on a table which has a field as a primary key and auto number. I cannot post a pic , seems it does not let me paste in this thread somehow!maybe kind of security because I work for a govt organisation? I dont know

Well, I tried enabling locking for edited record and entered in data in both my computer as well as the user's. It somehow worked when I clicked in the Add new record option and added data. The backend is now entering the correct data . I am wondering how users will realise that they need to Click add a new record every time they log in to input data. Maybe I should revert Data Entry property for the form to No so that they will know that the record they are able to use is being edited?So they have to Click on Add new Record.

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Why is the field not defined as primary key?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

As I mentioned the table has its own primary key which is an auto number. As I know a record consists of various fields. What I am saying that my data for a record is overwriting the record for the other user who is using the user form simulataneously, although he had values different to mine. So I enabled lock edit record in client settings and tried doing the same which actually put in the correct values at the back end .

For some reason the thread is not allowing to insert image so I cant post the pic.
    The pic somehow looked like this

+15 blah blah xxx
    +15 blah blah xxx where blah blah xxx are values for different fields or controls..so these two are exactly identical records, one for me and for the other user.
    But the result at the back end should have been no 15 and no 16 with different values. where 15 16 are just auto numbers i.e. unique IDs
    So when thi shappened I tried doing what I have mentioned earlier in th eparagraph in this thread.

So I am wondering how will usesr know that they have to Add a New Record when they get an error for edited record( I hope it appears)The DAta entry for the form now has been set Yes

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Sunny,

Show us your table designs. Do a printscreen/capture and save as a jpg. Use the Go Advanced button below and manage your attachment.

You do have a copy of the FE on each user's PC and your BE (tables only) on a shared drive?

Sorry but I am reluctant to post the pic here as it asks for the url path or the computer path to the file, as I am not allowed because of security and policy.
    All I can do is give the pic of how it looks

MasterID Autonumber & primary key
    Facility Text
    Company Text
    Finding Text
    FindingDetails Memo
    FileRef Hyperlink
    So the backend table called in Datasheet view gives as..
    MasterID Facility Company Finding....
    +2 Local XYZ ZZZ ....
    +2 Local XYZ ZZZ ....

But when you run a query based on that table Criteria being " Local" double records do not show up, only one record with Id no 2 show sup which is good though.

Yes back end on shared drive and copy of FE in users PC

June7 is offline VIP
    So you can't take image home or email to yourself and post attachments from there?

Surprisingly, an autonumber field can be set to Index Yes (Duplicates OK) if it is not designated as primary key. If you want to be certain there will not be duplicate ID values, then set the field as primary key.

Anyone at all competent enough to do data entry should be aware that if the form opens with data displayed, that is an existing record and must go to new record row to create a new record. If there is a concern that user cannot recognize that situation, then should open form on new record row. That can be accomplished by either setting the form DataEntry property to Yes or with code that moves to new record row when form opens.

If there are identical records, the query should show them unless it is some sort of aggregate or DISTINCT query.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

I will try your advice and let you know the outcome. Thanks

NTC is offline VIP
    well so multiple people in the exact same record editing it at the same time; in general this is an extremely low probability event. Having done years of development I have rarely seen it... but if the nature of the business and of the application is that this is the case - then you should split apart tables with 1:1 relationships so that if, for instance, accounting is going to be in a record at the same time as sales - that they have their own set of fields....

but in terms of new records - when it gets written to the table is when the autonumber generates and that will never generate twice - and so if 2 people are getting the same new record at the same time it means that it is getting written to the table for another to open and you have to look at why they are opening an existing record but believing it is new even though it is not...perhaps some other field criteria is being used other than the auto number key field.

Well guyz, I have tried the testing and it seems fine. It was giving trouble when the user logged in with user details as in Client settings Lock for records was set as No locks which I changed it to Edited Record for locks and it seems good for now.

Another question which I need help maybe videos? I need to extract data from specific fields , such as Count of ... and also Memo fields from the Database into a Word document so as to save time and repeatition of tasks. The idea is suppsoe there is a button for filling up the details from that form to a word doc. Then there is another button in another form to extract ceratin fields from there and extract it to the same word doc/template. The problem is I want to know whether the Word template will ask for saving into a different doc every time I hit the buttons? Seems confusing for you to understand I guess , but feel free to ask if you are not getting what I mean to explain.

Thanks

June7 is offline VIP
    I've never set up collaboration between Access and Word. Options are Word Merge utility in Access and/or open Word objects in VBA and manipulate. Has been discussed in other threads.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.