dimitrz is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Consolidation DB

Hi experts

Introduction

My team uses an Input tracker to track Helpdesk requests and Reception calls, everyone has their own tracker which gets updates every minute of so with new entries

All these input trackers are located in a common folder in common file server

On an average every person tracks close to 100 requests/calls in his tracker everyday

Requirement

Is it possible to capture data from all these trackers on a periodic basis (say at click of a button) so that it can be displayed in a consolidated format in MS Access ?

That way I can get a consolidated overview of all the requests and calls handled by all my technicians without having to go into each person’s tracker separately

I am afraid I am a total novice in MS access and have no clue on how to go about it

I have enclosed 2 samples 1) sample of the input tracker used by technicians 2) an sample example of how I need the data consolidated in MS Access

Any help would be much appreciated

Query cross posted at

http://www.vbaexpress.com/forum/show...287#post208287

Have cross posted at http://www.access-programmers.co.uk/ aswell however I wont have the link until the mods there approves the posting
    Last edited by dimitrz; 03-21-2010 at 07:59 AM.

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    Do all of the users of the system attached to the system have access to the same server? If so, why are they not all in one db?

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    Do all of the users of the system attached to the system have access to the same server? If so, why are they not all in one db?
    Hi Ruralguy I am not much into technicality but if I got your question correct - then you are asking me why I dont have a common Access DB where all the customer service agents can input their data .

well 2 things

1) I dont know how to make an input tracker similar to the excel input tracker you see - espcially since it has some VB codes / formulas and validations

2) before using these individual trackers my team used to have one single excel workbook in a shared format - but that resulted in slowness of the WB since the agents have to enter data every minute or so and second biggest problem was the frequent corruption of the tracker

To combat that i created these individual tracker - which solved point 2 however it then resulted me in having no control to see the consolidated calls/requests being worked by my team at spur of the moment - since now I have to go into each ones tracker one by one to see whats happening and to make matters more complicated the data keeps increasing every minute - thats why I wanted something like a Access DB where anytime I can get a consolidated info on whats happening

hope this answers your query

RuralGuy is offline Administrator
    Windows 7 Access 2007
    I didn't realize you had everything in Excel, sorry. I won't be of much help.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by RuralGuy View Post
    I didn't realize you had everything in Excel, sorry. I won't be of much help.
    no probs RuralGuy

Windows XP Access 2007
    Hi I have managed to create the basic structure of the DB

( no coding involved- its just the structure that I need)

Now I assistance in knowing how can I link the various excel input tracker to this DB so that every time I click a button on DB - all the data from excels are captured and consolidated/displayed in the DB

Sample of input tracker is above

Windows XP Access 2007
    I have uploaded my requirement as a slide show - hope this helps in addition to the above structure in Access

c_smithwick is offline Underpaid Programmer
    Windows 7 Access 2003
    With as many entries as you say are making, your excel spreadsheets are going to max out soon, and need to be deleted-recreated, etc.. I think you would be better served by designing a common database whereby users can make entries directly and of course you can query and see 'live" data. If you don't have the tech skills, hire it out. It sounds like your operation is large enough to both warrant the expense and benefit from the productivity improvements it would lead to.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.