Modify_inc is offline Competent Performer
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Navigation Forms in Access 2013: Not able to link tables with relationships

Are the Navigation Forms in Access 2013 not able to link tables that have relationships?

I have two tables using a one-to-many relationship.

tblClients - Primary key is ClientID
    tblComments - Foreign Key is ClientID

So, when I add a new client, I can also add additional comments over time, and they should be linked to each client.

This works fine if I use a SubForm and put the tblComments in the SubForm of the main form, frmClients.
    I can even see that the tblComments ClientID foreign key is populated with the ID of the tblClients ClientID number.

I can even open the tblClients table and confirm the relationship is working because the + collapsed sign confirms it.

BUT, when I use the Navigation Form, Horizontal and Vertical Tabs Left, the data from the comments table is not linked to the clients table.

I have the first horizontal tab set to Clients, followed by the first vertical tab set to Comments.
    When I click on the Clients tab, I can add a new client by entering their data. I can then click on the Comments tab and enter a comment, but the foreign key field (ClientID of the tblComments) is never populated with the ClientID from the client I just entered; I have to add it manually to make it work.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this by design?

Thanks
    Mike

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    I don't like and don't use navigation form/control. As I understand them, forms on tabs of navigation form are not open at the same time. Code loads the forms as they are needed. If this is the case, then there is no way that forms on tabs can be related to each other.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.