Windward is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Unhappy Problems creating query to list dates between "Start Date" and "End date"

Hi

I am new to access and on a steep learning curve. I don't use VBA or SQL (Yet).

I am trying to create a booking management system for our 3 room small B & B. I have created and populated all the tables and relationships and everything talks to each other. However I have made an oversight and missed a trick.

Bookings each have a guest_ name, start_date, end_date and_room allocated etc.

Rooms can be closed out for a night. The close outs use the same start_date and room_allocated. All of these dates are kept in seperate linked tables to prevent duplication.

I need to be able to count the number of individual room nights between a variable number of days in any given period. I have used a parameter query that can count the number of room nights closed out, but I cannot count the number of room nights as any query I make only looks to a start date or end date falling in the given period, not any days in between.

For example, if I have a guest staying between 1-April-12 to 13-April-12 and I am searching for occupied rooms between 3/4/12 and 10/4/12 it wouldn't pick this guest (or the occupied rooms) up. If I was searching between 30th March and 3rd April it would.

I have assumed that I could create a query to build a table of dates for each booking, but I am not sure if this would be wasteful and would rather get the result each time I query, rather than create a new table. Anyhow, I can't seem to creat the table anyway, and to go outside to build it in excel and import seems a bit defeatist.

My head hurts, can anyone suggest an Access solution (not for the headache!)

recyan is offline Expert
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    @Windward,
    Haven't read your problem in detail. However, whenever someone posts a problem with date range, this is the first thing that comes to my mind.

http://www.baldyweb.com/OverLap.htm

Check out if above is of any help.

Thanks

Windward is offline Novice
    Windows 7 32bit Access 2007

Thumbs up

Many thanks recyan

Definitely a "wood for the trees" moment. I just couldn't see the answer for looking!

I have created a query with columns for Name, StartDate, EndDate and "Room Nights"

StartDate has the criteria <=[Forms]![Occupancy Dates]![PeriodEnd]
    EndDate has the criteria >=[Forms]![Occupancy Dates]![PeriodStart]

Used a form to get values "PeriodStart" and "PeriodEnd" and set up a calculated field for "Room Nights"

Room Nights: (IIf([EndDate]>[Forms]![Occupancy Dates]![PeriodEnd],[Forms]![Occupancy Dates]![PeriodEnd],[EndDate])) - (IIf( [StartDate]< Forms![Occupancy Dates]![PeriodStart], Forms![Occupancy Dates]![PeriodStart] , [StartDate] ))

It works a treat!

recyan is offline Expert
    Windows 2K Access 2000
    @Windward,
    We will both together along with many others, thank pbaldy for the little beauty, that he has posted.
    Glad you got things working.

Thanks

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.