LeadTechIG is offline Novice
    Windows XP Access 2007

Autofill?

All,

I hope this is an appropriate place to post my question, if not, please point me in the right direction.

I use access everyday, but have only begun to scratch the surface of its computing power. I enter data in the only table in the database, which I have read to be less then ideal. Each line item corresponds to a physical asset in our warehouse, and catalogues all of its pertinent information, which includes serial numbers, ownership information, services and fees.

My question is: how do I orchestrate the automatic population of cells based on the content of other cells? ie if the customer computer had one particular service done to it, I want the inbound and outbound hard drive serial numbers to automatics fill and match, and the correct fee to automatically fill.

Side note: I have learned only through trial and error, and Google. Any suggested resources would also be welcome.

Thank you

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    The simple answer is - you don't. Sounds like really need to normalize the database structure.

Where would this data come from?
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Windows XP Access 2007
    Thank you for your response. I have done some normalization to my database recently which has helped. However, due to the nature of my work, it is necessary to have both fields present even though the data appears redundant.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    it is necessary to have both fields present even though the data appears redundant.
    That's what queries are for!

Note that queries can be used as the source for Reports and Forms just the same as tables are.

Please explain why you think it needs to be at the table level within the same table. Maybe if we understand your line of thought better, we can explain the suggested way of accomplishing what you are trying to do.

Windows XP Access 2007
    We use Access at the table level because we like its similarity to a spreadsheet, because we have to revisit line items regularly to update information as it presents itself, and because we have yet to find a more efficient way of entering data than using the tables.

I work in IT services, cataloging large numbers of IT assets of varying types. Each line in my database represents one discrete asset (like a laptop or desktop), and in that line we capture all of it's information. The section of fields that I'm looking to - for lack of a better word - automate are the sections about hard drives in those assets. We record the Serial Number of the hard drive after providing a service to the asset, often NOT having to replace the HD. Thus, we record an "inbound SN" and an "outbound SN" - that often are the same. It would great to have the outbound information automatically populate when certain services are recorded on that asset's line.

I hope the explanation makes it a bit clearer; I'm painfully under-educated in these matters.
    Last edited by LeadTechIG; 12-04-2014 at 07:55 PM. Reason: typo

June7 is offline VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Forms can be made to look like datasheet (table).

What you want requires code. Cannot have code behind tables, at least not with Access 2007. Access 2010 introduced Data Macros but a Data Macro cannot do what you want.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

JoeM is offline VIP
    Windows XP Access 2007
    Also, it is generally considered a bad idea to have users accessing the tables directly. You typically do not want that to have easy direct access to the tables. It is considered good programming design to have all manual data entry happen through Forms, and as June pointed out, Forms can appear in Datasheet view (similar to Excel).

The big advantage to Forms is you can place more control on the fields and data, and use VBA code, like June said.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.