sfspca1 is offline Novice
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2007

Retain previous user entry in form

I am a beginner in using access, if this question has already been asked and answered, I was not able to find it. I am trying to mechanize a manual /excel processing of walking dogs. My question is: I have a form linked to the main table, an individual has to enter a month and day for each record in the table. I already have a form for data entry using Me!LastWalk.DefaultValue = """" & Me!LastWalk & """" in the after update property for this field in the form. This works fine if you enter info in every field. The new form already has the information displayed except for month and date. I want to enter the month and date in the first record and it would be retained for the next record and if necessary allow for the date to be changed. I do not want to enter the month and date every time if they are the same. Thanks for any help.

June7 is online now VIP
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit
    Code in form Current event could do a lookup for the latest record to set the DefaultValue property of each field or to even actually populate each field if the current record is the New Record row.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Missinglinq is offline VIP
    Richmond (Virginia, not North Yorkshire!)
    Quote Originally Posted by sfspca1 View Post

...This works fine if you enter info in every field. The new form already has the information displayed except for month and date. I want to enter the month and date in the first record and it would be retained for the next record...
    I think you need to explain the above bit, in red, a little better. If all Fields except LastWalk are already filled in, and you want to repeat the same date for all Records, you would be entering completely identical Records, and I don't think that this is what you actually want.

FYI, using the shortcut <Ctrl> + <'> will populate a Control with the same data as was last entered into the Field, even after the Form has been closed and then re-opened.

Linq ;0)>
    The problem with making anything foolproof...is that fools are so darn ingenious!

All posts/responses based on Access 2003/2007

sfspca1 is offline Novice
    First, Thank You all for your help. Sorry the problem was not clear, my screenshots would not upload. Thank you Linq, the shortcut you provided was exactly what I needed, the problem is solved.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.