DBenz is offline Advanced Beginner
    Windows 7 64bit Access 2010 32bit

Auto Number giving record number plus 1 now I open my dbase into access 2010

Hi,

I have been using Access 2000 for many years with win XP 32bit. I have a new PC with Win 7 64 bit, Purchase a genuine Microsoft Office Pro 2010 and install, all goes well.

I open my database Form view which has its first window as ID: and the number in that window, when I create a new record, always matches the record number showing at foot of form in the window that access puts there.

I can go to any record I have and the ID number matches my record number. I have always liked that fact, gives me comfort in knowing nothing has glitched or a record has got deleted etc. I always look to that for 'comfort' in this particular dbase where no records get deleted so it gives me feedback on that.

However the second and third records I have added under this new OS and version of access have that ID number as the record number PLUS 1,
    record 1294 has ID 1294 this was the first record added after using Access 2010 and as such with the correct ID no cause for concern.
    record 1295 has ID 1296
    record 1296 has ID 1297

I had closed down the PC before adding record 1295 the next day. I clicked on the vertical bar at left of record 1294 and chose copy, then clicked on new record and right clicked that bar and went paste. This brings in the details of record 1294 where I then make changes to some parts of it. I have always done this with this dbase. I can only think that for some reason that 2010 did something different to ID than it ever did prior to this, jumping the ID number two forward.

I am unable to alter that ID number either in form or table.

I want my ID and record number matching as it always has done, I know thats not vital but I liked the fact it did so, not happy that 2010 messed it up, so what happened and how do I fix it ?

DBenz

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    You should read this.

Hi,
    I am aware that they dont have to correspond to records, I didnt create a record then zap it, so want to know why it skipped a beat. All these years I have managed to just add records to that dbase and have ID match record, aware that as long as I add a record and dont delete one , it will match.

I use access 2010 for the second time and it messes up my 100% track record.

I will have to open up the dbase from my old HD and add those records again and see if I an keep that ID matching as I have done so all these years, for me this dbase was good in that it indicated by that ID match that nothing had gone astray, no records deleted. Just a personal like that that number matched, just annoyed that 2010 messed that little thing I had going up.

DBenz

orange is offline Moderator
    Windows XP Access 2003
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada; West Palm Beach FL
    Autonumbers are only used to maintain uniqueness. They are not necessarily assigned in sequential/incremental order. They may not even be positive. If you delete one, it isn't reused. Read the article in the link. It has nothing to do with 2010.
    Good luck with your projects.

I have opened the access 2000 dbase and started again and so far ID matches record, which for me for this particular dbase is comforting, and I know its not vital.
    DBenz

June7 is offline VIP
    Although I am aware that autonumber is not guaranteed to be sequential and positive, I have never seen otherwise.

An autonumber field can 'reset' the sequence seed during Compact & Repair, however, skipped numbers will not be reused by the generator.

It is possible to programmatically use skipped numbers.
    How to attach file: http://www.accessforums.net/showthread.php?t=70301 To provide db: copy, remove confidential data, run compact & repair, zip w/Windows Compression.

Please reply to this thread with any new information or opinions.